This picture was taken on a Snake River fly fishing trip when we visited Swan Valley, Idaho, last year. It's a photo where I'd want to simplify the background and reshape Mike's shoulders a little. Otherwise, it would be a perfect photo to recreate using this method. So, anyway, it was a thoroughly lovely day...even the weather has been beautiful after raining sideways all day on Thursday.
So, again, I wrote a lengthy blog post when I attended last year's class. If you're interested in reading more detail than what I'm giving here, I can refer you to this post where I talk about it at length. As for yesterday's class, I just have a few things to tell you.
In my post about Day One, I mentioned that my piece was keeping me awake because I wasn't happy with what I'd done for the "bib" of the overalls. Here's where I left it yesterday, and it was a mess of lines that really had very little association with how I wanted the quilt to look:
I had an idea how to fix it, and so this morning, I erased some of the lines and tried again:
Ann helped me to reposition the lines, and I think they ended up looking pretty good. There are some pockets with seams and a waistband on the bib, and it was hard to decide how much detail to include while also preserving the separation between the overalls and the shirt. When we had taken it to this point, it was finished and ready for labeling. You can see in the upper left hand corner where we started to label the sections. This is to identify the sewing order.
When that was finished, it was ready to be enlarged. But first, I want to show you the work of a couple of my classmates. Here's the kitty who is only about half finished here. This one is going to be a piecing nightmare with so many little pieces.
Here is the dog of another classmate. The eyes will be done in one piece using a "dot" fabric. I'll show you in my next post so that you can see what I'm talking about. Also, remember what I mentioned in my post from Day One about the bilateral symmetry of the dog's face. A line is drawn down the center bisecting the head, and then the sections branch out from left to right.
And then it was time to enlarge my piece. Here...the magic is happening! So exciting!
My original piece was approximately 12 x 16, and it was enlarged by 275%, making it somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 x 40 inches. It ended up just about life sized. Here, I've laid it on the floor and used my foot for scale.
Since we're working with vellum or tracing paper, we first have a one-to-one copy made onto paper, and this is used for both the enlargement and also to create a color-coded copy. I've colored this in with colored pencil so that I can distinguish the main subjects from the background, and I'll use this when I start adding fabrics.
You can read the post I've linked to at the top where I cover how the freezer paper templates are created along with the "tick" marks that are used for ease of piecing. At day's end, my piece was ready to start adding fabrics, and that's where I'll pick it up today.
Now is when the real fun begins!