The center isn't completely finished, but it's as far as I'll get for this go-round. When I picked this up two weeks ago, I'd finished all that is surrounded in hot pink. This time, I finished what's surrounded with green.
All that's left of the quilt center now are the house and the cat at the bottom. It's hooped up for next time, but this is as far as I'll take it for now.
Today I started on the next Bag Lady. Meet Charlotte. Today I got started at the top of her lovely outfit.
If you're stitching along with the Bag Ladies of the Fat Quarter Club, please feel free to choose whichever lady you like. I'm doing mine in order, and Charlotte just happens to be number two in the series. Also, the linky party is live right now.
I'll leave it up until Friday at midnight and then announce the winner of this month's needle threader on Saturday. You don't have to finish your bag lady to link up...just link up and show us your progress. But, hey, you don't have to be stitching along to enjoy all the bag ladies. Check it out! The party is going on right here.
The only machine stitching I did yesterday was to stitch in some lines on the Saguaro cactus project for Project Quilting. Recall that the theme for this challenge is "Tune in to Texture." I'm making a feeble attempt to create a Saguaro cactus from this image.
Once I have the thorns stitched in, I'll apply the quilt back, and then stitch the green lines one more time, just to hold the backing in place.
For the thorns, I'm using two strands of these two metallic threads.
They are very poor quality, and so they are a bear to work with. It's necessary to keep the lengths short because they can't stand up to much repetitive pulling through the fabric. Yesterday afternoon, I was able to get one row of thorns stitched.
This morning, I stitched in two more rows. It isn't pictured here, but I'm a few thorns into the next row to the left now.
This being February, it's time to choose a goal for
As I mentioned in an earlier post, all the quilts I had sandwiched for quilting are finished now. Mistakenly, I said I didn't have any tops finished either. That's not entirely true because I forgot that Wind in the Whiskers is ready to be sandwiched, top-stitched and quilted. The problem is that I prefer spray basting, which has to be done with my plywood/sawhorse table set up in the garage. It's a bit of a chore to set it all up, and so I want to be able to do several quilts at once.
With that in mind, I'll be working on flimsies for the next couple of months. This month's goal for OMG is to sew together the eight blocks I've completed for Wheel Estate. (Only six blocks are pictured, but eight are finished.) You might recall this was my project for last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
The original pattern had only eight different blocks, and when I made all eight of them, I kind of lost interest in the project. As it turns out, eight blocks will be perfect because there is a big blank wall in our new camper (to be picked up this weekend) where the full complement of eight blocks will fit nicely. I've decided to go ahead and finish it up, making a wall hanging for the new camper.
But just to keep myself moving forward, I'm also going to try to get the flimsy sewn together for the Bee Loving quilt. This is the image of the designer's finished quilt. So far, I just have a bunch of blocks to sew together, and I haven't decided on a setting yet.
The wind is howling this morning, and we're expecting more snow and freezing rain by tomorrow. Yikes. During January, we already had the most snow in 37 years. It was so bad last month that we had to borrow snow plows from Seattle. It all got so bad that our governor and Portland's mayor declared a state of emergency. And if this forecast is correct....here we go again. Boy, oh boy.