It ended up at 15 x 18 inches. I'm calling it "Bright and Early" for a couple of reasons. "Bright" is fairly obvious, and "Early" because it makes me think of an early spring. We could certainly use one around here after all the cold weather and snow we've had this winter. Here's how it looks from the back. I love those bright polka dots...or circles...or whatever they are.
When I've made these stained glass quilts in the past, I've always used a solid backing so that the quilting would show. This time, I really wanted to use that bright fabric, and so I hoped for the best with the quilting. It shows up pretty well despite its busy-ness.
The quilting consists of a line of sewing on each edge of the black "leading." It went pretty fast on the larger sections.
Each petal was done individually, and it took several hours to finish the whole thing.
The outer sections made an outline on the black inner border, but I decided to add another line of stitching just at the edge of the flange.
Because the flowers were quilted from the outer edges toward the center, the flower centers puff out just a little bit. Also, the fabric was laid down in layers, and so there are four layers of fabric there, in addition to the batting.
So there it is...one finished quilt for this week's theme. With our camping trip coming up this weekend, I thought I might sit this one out. It was so much fun, now I'm glad to have followed through.
Today, I'll be linking up to
Since I've done almost nothing but sewing for the past two days, I need to catch up on a few tasks around the house and make some lists for our trip this weekend. (I can hardly do anything without making a list first.) The next block has been released for the Solstice Challenge. It's hard to decide whether to work on that first or whether to work on the Welcome wall hanging for the new camper. If there's time for sewing, I guess I'll do whatever mood strikes first.