12/12/16

Five Blocks Down

Yesterday was a productive day for Eliza. We managed to get two more blocks quilted on the Gingerbread Square quilt, along with their adjacent sashings.


Of course, I had all kinds of, um, help during the day. Smitty attacked and killed my quilting practice piece.

Quilting Practice Piece...you have insulted me fur the last time! Now, you are mine!


Wait...what's that?


It's Sadie! I'm coming fur you now!


Oh, Smitty...I'm not afurraid of you.

Sorry, Quilt Practice Piece...I didn't mean any of it. Please furgive me.


Oh wait...never mind, Quilt Practice Piece. I'm going to kill you after all!!!!!


 But maybe I'll take a nap and then kill you.


In between the mahem, I was able to quilt the second block.


Hopefully, I can get another two done today. 

This morning I took the barm out of the refrigerator to warm for an hour, and then I got to work making the loaf of Christopsomos. This loaf is identical to the Artos loaf I made last week, except that I added a half cup each of dried cranberries, golden raisins, and chopped walnuts during the last two minutes of kneading.


The only other change I made was to substitute orange extract for the lemon extract. The "formula" gave me the choice, and orange seemed like a better match for the cranberries. When I left it to write this post, it was proofing, and this will take at least 90 minutes.


Since it is a Christmas celebration loaf, it will be shaped into a boule like the Artos loaf, but this one has a fancy cross-shaped decoration on top. Since I've never done anything like that before, I'm hoping I can pull it off. Fingers crossed.

Also this morning, I finished up the final block for the Bee-utiful quilt. This one is called "Bee Friendly."


Now these blocks will go into the pile to be turned into a flimsy...maybe in January. There are some fabrics set aside for this, but actually, I haven't given a single thought to what I want to do with the blocks. They are 8-1/2 inches, and so they'll be bordered and sashed somehow, but that is yet to be determined.

Next, I'll be tracing Block #9 of 12 for Hocuspocusville...this one is the Toil & Trouble Employment Agency.


When I cut the background for this block this morning, I also cut the backgrounds for the remaining three blocks. It's getting close.

So that's where I'm headed next. It appears to be a pretty nice day out, and so I'm hoping to get outside a little bit today as well. It's been dark and cold, and the light will do me good. We're expecting more snow later on in the week, so there's no time to waste.

8 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

Gingerbread Square quilt is looking good and cat approved. Looks like your getting ready for Easter, and Halloween is moving along. Good Job!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Good job Smitty - kill that practice piece. I am missing a Machinger Glove - think someone ran off with it. Oh, I could just take a spoon and eat the crans/raisens/nuts - but the start to the bread looks good, too.

claudia said...

Smitty is so funny! Did he ever get to kill the Quilt Practice Piece? I love cats so much! I have two new kitties, brother and sister, who are just warming up to the fact that they live with a bunch of dogs now. I've named them Dusty (the little girl) and Levi (her brother). They are four months old.
The Gingerbread Square quilt is looking great I can't wait to continue watching it get quilted.
That loaf of bread is going to be awesome!

Brown Family said...

Smitty, I am sure the quilt practice piece was terrified of you.

Dana Gaffney said...

I thought the Gingerbread blocks were a lot smaller, please thank Smitty for laying on it so I can see how much bigger they really are.

quiltzyx said...

The mighty hunter strikes again!

Kate said...

You are making really good progress on the Gingerbread blocks. Looking forward to seeing that project completed. Poor Smitty all that pent up energy to burn off. Hopefully he's getting it out of his system.

Junebug613 said...

I'm reading your posts in reverse again, forgive me! I can't wait to go back and find the rest of the Hocuspocusville blocks. So cute!