He made himself a nice little nest in the puddle of the quilt as I sewed the border onto it. Also, he made sure the fabric for the quilt back stayed put in its storage bin.
I don't know how things go in your sewing room, but my quilt back fabrics tend to get rowdy as I approach a finished top.
When the first border was sewn on, it looked like this.
Here, Smitty gave it a good going over.
I took a break there. Mike wanted to show me some things outside. It was a pretty day...too pretty to spend the whole day in the basement. While we were out, a red tailed hawk flew over head. He was hunting for squirrels in our field.
Remember last spring when I told you about the mice getting into Mike's car? (Warning: there's a picture of Maggie at that link. Sniff.) He puts it away during the winter. We live on a dirt road (which turns to mud in winter), and he won't drive it when it's cold and rainy. So he stores it inside his shop, but the mice have gotten into the ventilation system two years in a row. It's very expensive and time-consuming to fix, and so he's taken drastic measures to prevent it from happening again. I give you The Bubble.
It has a continuous fan that keeps it inflated and is guaranteed to be rodent proof. After talking with the manufacturer and reading reviews, Mike was convinced this would do the trick. We shall see. It looks impressive, if nothing else. If you're wondering why the hood is ajar, it's because he keeps the car battery hooked to a charger so that it doesn't go dead during its hibernation.
When we came out of the shop, the hawk was turned around to show us the rest of himself.
After that, I got back to work and put the outer and final border on the quilt top, and it was finished.
And I've learned to make the quilt back while I'm primed for sewing long seams, and so I did that too. I'm using this fabric.
So there you have it. I kind of like cleaning up the sewing room when I finish a quilt top. This one had a lot of patterns involved, one for each quilt block, as well as floss and other stuff. It's all put away now and the bin is freed up for some other project.
There are still a couple of days left in the month, and so I perused my goals. I most want to keep my WIPs moving along, and so I'll work on the block for It's Raining Cats and Dogs. This is the one I'll work on next, and these can usually be finished in a day.
Also, I was considering what I'd like to get done during November. For the first time in quite some time...years, maybe...I pulled out my oldest UFO. I'm calling this the "Barn Quilt" for now, and it's from my own photograph of this barn somewhere in the local area.
This was started back in 2010 when I'd barely been quilting for two years. I took it this far, and then I kind of got stuck. It still needs the cupola added to the top of the barn and the roof and chimney need to be added to the shed on the right. The leafless tree out front had me kind of stuff for what to do there. I'm not going to put the tree in, but I decided to make a trellis and put some flowers and leaves there. For the barn on the left, I'm going to put a quilt block. I think there might also be a door on the right side.
And all of that to say that I think I'll put this on next month's list of goals and see if I can get it at least to the flimsy stage. A lot of the details will be added when it's quilted, and so I don't think it will require much time to get it to that point. It's been on hold for such a long time that I wasn't sure I would bother with it. Now that I've studied it for a while and have some ideas about how to proceed, it seems possible to finish it.