By the time it was all processed, my yield was 13 half-pints. I like this for gift-giving, and so I use half-pints, although the recipe suggests pints. I'm using a recipe from Marissa McClellan's Food in Jars book. I just Googled the recipe and found this one, just slightly adapted from Marissa's recipe.
While that was cooking, I baked this Red Hot Cinnamon Apple Cake for two. So good, and since it's for two...we devoured it in one sitting last night. More disciplined folk might have eaten it in two sittings, but where's the fun in that?
When I was finished with my kitchen duties yesterday, I spent some time in the sewing room. First, I traced out Block 14 for the Bee-utiful Quilt-A-Long, Bee Good.
This morning I started stitching it. As cute as these are, I'm getting tired of stitching those bees over and over again, and so I stitched them up first. And then I kept stitching until Bee #2 was on firm footing.
This one shouldn't take too long, which is a good thing because Block 15, "Bee Courageous" is out.
I've been well disciplined keeping up with these as they come out, but I'd really like to get a chance to start on the next Hocuspocusville block. Fortunately, there are only five more of these, and so I should have them finished before the month is out.
After that, I had just about an hour to work on Sadie's pawtrait. These always start with the eyes. Like I said yesterday, Sadie's pawtrait is going to be the most challenging yet. It's the fifth one I've done. Yesterday I was remarking on how her colors were not well-defined. Even her "eyeliner" is asymmetrical. These eyes have a kind of sinister look, don't they?
How about now? Sadie's pawtrait is going to depend a lot on the thread work at the end to make it look right.
With her fur being flecked with color, rather than in patches, the best I can do is look at the lightness or darkness of any given fabric and choose that way. I have quite a few fabrics to choose from (thank you, Molly), and they are pretty much the same in color composition. However, they have different patterns and so can appear darker or lighter. For example, these were the three I thought most closely approximated the color of her cheeks.
But I need also to take into consideration the other parts of her fur and whether the section should be light, medium, or dark. In this case, I'm working sort of in the medium to bright range. To my eye, the one on the right was the lightest of the three I selected, and so I chose that one. When I work with some of the darker sections of fur, the other two will give me the contrast I need. Clear as mud, right?
As I was doing this, my life model cat sat nearby to give me a closer look at her face. She wants her pawtrait to be just right.
She's taken to being my morning lap cat while I read and work on my embroidery. She's looking angelic here.
But really, she's considering how she might bite me without suffering the consequences. She's still very kittenish.
My food mill came yesterday, as expected. Today's apple task is to make some applesauce. Even with my apple concoctions thus far, I've barely scratched the surface of the apples. Today I think I'll make just one batch of applesauce, just to be sure I like what I'm doing. If that goes well, I'll make some more tomorrow or Saturday. Also on tap, an apple crisp, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a lot more done on Sadie's pawtrait this afternoon.