Okay, well, obviously I found them. Thank goodness. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to write a blog post or not, and well, perish the thought of missing a day. It wasn't easy to find them, let me tell you. Obviously, the Resident Engineer is going to have to sit down with me this evening and go over this new way of doing things. If I click on enough icons, I can find what I'm looking for, but good luck trying to organize anything. For now, I'll just be a little crabbier than usual, so never mind me.
Speaking of crabby: Paper-piecing. Here's what I did yesterday.
Well since I'd already traced in both sides of the stem (as in, "the two drawn lines") I didn't see how this could work without the drawn lines showing on either side of the "S". So I stitched both sides of the drawn lines and then threaded my floss under both sides of the stem. It doesn't look like hers, but geez. How does that make any sense? If we're only supposed to stitch one line, then why draw in two on the pattern? I know. I shouldn't ask questions like that.
So now, all the flowers are done. Below, I have them stacked up the way they'll be pieced together.
But wait. There's more. I'm hoping I'll have time today to make seven of these leaves.
Tomorrow there will be seven more...only in reverse. Those flowers took me most of the day. There were a few interruptions, but they still took a long time.
As I mentioned yesterday, Mike and I went back to the Charthouse to have seconds on their yummy gazpacho. Now, my fondest desire is to make a gazpacho as good as theirs. I put Mike on notice that we might have to go back a few more times so that I could taste it again. For now, I'm going to start experimenting. The components are pureed fresh tomatoes with some added seasoning, and then chunks of vegetables, including tomato, cucumber, green pepper, onion, basil, and perhaps some tarragon and perhaps some jalapeno pepper, and perhaps some oregano. Hard to say for sure without doing a taste test. Also, there must be some vinegar to give it just the slightest bit of pucker. The closest thing I've found is one by Chef John, and so that's where I'll start.
We also had a couple of appetizers. After eating our dinner of gazpacho and appetizers, we still had time left before we needed to leave for the movie. What to do? What. To. Do? Oh....well, there's always dessert. We each ordered a piece of Key Lime Pie.
It would have been a shame to waste time not having dessert, now wouldn't it? And then we went to see Free State of Jones. A very good movie about a real life man named Newton Knight. And I ask again, how did I manage to live to the ripe old age of, um, 23 without ever having heard of Newton Knight? It's a story worth telling and it should have been in our history textbooks. I'm realizing that history is full of very brave people who deserve more credit than they get from historians.
But let's get back to the food, shall we? I'll just point out that I harvested the first zucchini yesterday. Cool.
There are quite a few more coming, and I expect I'll get some in our CSA share tomorrow. I see zucchini relish on our horizon. I haven't made it for a couple of years, and we've used up all but what's left in the refrigerator. Phew. Zucchini just in a nick of time.
The only other sewing related thing I did yesterday was to trace out Block 8 for the Bee-utiful Quilt-A-Long.
This morning I stitched it. This block is called "Bee Simple". She wanted us to do some kind of fancy "threaded backstitch" for the stem. In looking at her video, she showed us backstitching between the two drawn lines for the stem and then threading our floss in and out of the stitches in an "S" design. It'll be easier to see what I'm talking about by looking at the picture.
Also, I've been trying to do this project without adding to my growing stash of embroidery floss. I wanted to use that dusty rose floss (last used on the Vintage Miniature Sewing Machines quilt), but I knew I wouldn't have enough. Not to worry. I decided to stitch as many petals as I could and then use a different color pink for the remaining petals. First, I checked with the seismologists at Portland State University to ensure that using two colors of floss would not induce any seismic activity...Cascadia Subduction Zone concerns, and all. You're welcome.
Okay, so the only other thing I have to show you today is this kitty grass. It's growing at a frightening rate. I think I'll give it one more day, and then let the kitties have at it.
So there you go...I hunted and pecked around my icons and managed to write a whole blog post using Windows 10. It's a little like the blind leading the blind, but then, I'm only one person, so I'm just blind.
Today Sadie is going to the vet. I'll check back tomorrow with news of Sadie's bad day.