6/19/16

Catching Up and Keeping Up

While I'm pretty sure I'm not going to finish my June goals, I'm keeping up with the highest of priorities. It doesn't help that I very impulsively started two new projects this month. Nevertheless, I finished the quilting for the Live, Love, Teach quilt. The binding is on, and I'll be getting started with the hand sewing today. It's not a terribly large quilt at 56 x 54 inches, and so it shouldn't take more than a couple of days to hand stitch the binding.


When I started on this yesterday, only the vertical sashings still needed quilting. I realize it's hard to see the quilting, so the next image shows it a little closer up...pretty simple...just straight lines and stitch in the ditch.


Here's how it looks from the back.


Then I went straight to my domestic machine and sewed on the binding.


I'm using this "Sweet Pickins" fabric that's been in my stash for a very long time. Apples for a teacher.


And now I just need to do the hand sewing and make a label, and this one can fly off to southern California.

When that was finished, I wanted to catch up with my free motion quilting sampler Lesson #2. Lesson 2 was the orange peel motif. We were to draw a grid, and then stitch the motif, which was fairly simple. It was a little tricky getting the corners to meet up each time. I started at the top and stitched to the bottom. You can see that my corners improved as I moved toward the bottom of the piece. I like this motif. I'd like to try this one a "real" quilt.


And I was pretty satisfied with that, so I committed it to my sampler right away.


Here's how my sampler looks so far.


Between rain showers, Mike was able to get some more accomplished on the catio. Sadly, he ran into one more snag. He needs one more piece of lumber 12.5 feet long. The lumber customarily comes in 12 foot lengths, and so that piece will need to be custom ordered. That won't stop him from adding the screen to the sides (you can see that the piece in the middle already has screen added). He made more progress than what you see here, but this is the only picture I have for now.


So I think it will be all hand stitching for me today. I'll get a start on Block #3 for the Bee-utiful Quilt-A-Long, and I'll be working away finishing up that binding. We're expecting sunshine today. 

Happy Father's Day to any fathers reading along. And if you know a father, have a father, love a father, want to be a father, live with a father, or just plain think fathers are very cool, then you have a happy father's day too.

5 comments:

gpc said...

The catio is brilliant, your man gots skills. Love the free motion stuff. I have joined the group just so I can go back and do this sampler in a year (or whatever) when I hope to be ready to jump into the FMQ pool. And your 'Teach' quilt is amazing -- love the binding choice!

quiltzyx said...

Hard to believe Live, Love, Teach has got the binding on already! The apple fabric is perfect for the teacher too. Good on ya!
Nice job on the Orange Peel FM quilting. Very nice job. There you go, inspiring me again!
Happy Father's Day to Mike!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just home from vending and there you are! The apple fabric is the perfect binding. I've used the Orange peel on a few pieces (I learned it as the continuous circle and a different path, but same result). Once it cools down we will go up the mountain to the cabin to pay respects to Dad.

Dana Gaffney said...

I think Dad's are cool, so thank you. I'm interested in seeing how Smitty feels about the catio, I think it's going to need a high shelf that looks like a tree with lots of other shelfs so he can still feel wild. I'll leave the design to you :)

Kate said...

Looks like Live Love Teach is moving along at a good clip. The quilting sampler is coming along nicely too. That new quilting motif looks great.