Miss Sadie is quite the love bug, and seems positively starved for affection. We got her from a shelter in McMinnville known as the Homeward Bound Shelter. She had a lot of kitty friends there, but I'm not sure how much human handling she was given. In any case, she wriggles and wiggles and drags herself across the carpet and nose bumps in her "pet me" insistence.
She bumps her nose on the camera lens, which makes it pretty hard to get a good picture of her.
Speaking of noses, Smitty pretty well had his out of joint yesterday.
Today, he's still not happy, but he seems to be taking it in stride. But...he said he has some things to say about this whole situation, so I'll let him tell you about it.
With a new kitty in the house, not much was accomplished on the sewing front. Since I've started on the last Gingerbread Square block, and since I've picked up yet another quilt-a-long project, I've kind of decided to put my big stitch hand quilting aside for a bit. I was getting kind of tired of working on it anyway. Besides, Smitty needed a good quilt to walk on. You can see how much I've stitched in the image below. That represents about ten days worth of stitching, and so it's moving along.
Before heading off to the shelter yesterday morning, I traced out the first block for the quilt-a-long. I'm considering what to name this quilt. It has several cats and a bee in every block. I'll think of something.
This morning I started stitching it.
Also yesterday, I made a second practice piece of the poppy petals...
And then committed the motif to my free motion sampler. I actually think I did a better job on the practice piece. Nevertheless, I'm not a slave to perfection, and so I'm calling this good enough.
I'd hoped to get started on quilting the Live, Love, Teach quilt. So far, I've only stitched a test piece to check my tension. The quilt top is white Kona solid and the back is red flannel. Unfortunately, the flannel is popping through to the top of the piece, like bearding from batting.
The line of stitching second from the top was the last line I did. Loosening the top tension helps, but if I loosen it to the point that the red stops showing, then it's all messed up on the back. I'm going with the second line and that will have to be good enough. To start, I'll stitch in the ditch around all the quilt blocks. When that is finished, the plan is to do straight line quilting in the sashings. At that point, I might switch to a red thread if I'm not happy with the stitching.
So that's the plan for today. I have just a little bit of housework to put into the mix. We continue to experience rain showers, and so Smitty hasn't been able to get out much.
He was out for a good hunting excursion yesterday afternoon. Right away, he spotted a squirrel, who kept him busy for a good 45 minutes.
Mercifully for the squirrel, I picked Smitty up and took him back inside shortly after this picture was taken. And that's only the beginning of Smitty's frustration of the past 24 hours. But I'll let him tell you his own tale.