My day was slow yesterday. As I mentioned, I'd been awake since 3:30 a.m. and so I ended up going back to sleep for a morning nap. First, I finished stitching Block 4 for the Bee-utiful Quilt-A-Long. This one is called "Bee Humble". Today I'll get started on Block 5.
When I woke up, I did a little housework, and then decided it was high time I made my blocks for the Block Lotto.
This month's block was the 6-inch Improv Bullseye (Quarters) made in two or three fabrics that were teal/turquoise/aqua with a white that could be a solid or tone-on-tone. Depending on how many fabrics you use, you can make either 2 or 3 blocks at a time. My brain was still in a fog from poor sleep, and so two fabrics were all I could muster
They're pretty free form, and easier than they look. And now that's done. I won the Block Lotto last month, and so I have no chance of winning this month. Still, I can see potential for these blocks, and that's what I love about the Block Lotto. It gives me a chance to try some new blocks without making a big commitment.
My next agenda item was to get a start on the baby quilt for my cousin's grandchild. If you'll recall, I selected this Baby Birds pattern...a free download from Studio E Fabrics.
The Studio E fabrics for this quilt are long gone. I noticed the copyright on the pattern is from 2012. I've selected fabrics from my stash, and I laid out half of the top row yesterday. I think these are going to be fine, although I'm still not sure about that lavender.
It will also go in the zigzag row, and it will be where the bright pink is in the pattern image above. My thinking is that once it's put there, it will balance out. If not, I might decide to switch it out. (Probably not because I'm not that picky, but we'll see.) Remember that my cousin's only request was that there be "scant" pink. Nevertheless, I'm trying to keep it girly. Oh yes, and this is my project for:
Today is a CSA pick-up day, and I've pretty well used all my veggies from last week. Still in my crisper is a huge head of Romaine lettuce, and we'll have that in a salad tonight. Last night, I tried a recipe for a Beet Salad with Goat Cheese that used some more of that sugarloaf radicchio. The beets were roasted and diced, then added to a salad of lettuce, radicchio, pistachios, and goat cheese. I can't link to the recipe because it's a membership only site, but I can tell you that the vinaigrette was made from the juice of one lemon, 1 teaspoon of Dijon, salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. It's a simple vinaigrette, but very flavorful.
There are still a few little things left from last week's share, including the beet greens. I'll probably put those in my stock this week.
This morning Miss Sadie took over the seat of power at the top of the kitty pole. I'm starting to look seriously at her little face and try to get a good image so that I can make her pawtrait. She doesn't have a lot of coloring in her face, but you gotta love those golden eyes. There was too much sun shining on her in this image to make it very useful, but I'm on the hunt now, and I'll keep trying. She has to hold still long enough, and since she's pretty kittenish, that will be a challenge.
So off I go...time to get stitching on Block 5: Bee Industrious. Good advice.