3/12/16

Early Morning

I'm up early this morning with a quick post before I head off to the all day "Spring into Gardening" event with Mae. Yesterday I tackled Mt. Laundry, but my runny nose and watery eyes told me it was also time to wash the flannel quilt I cover up with in the mornings. It's a favorite kitty quilt, and I happen to be a little bit allergic to the kitties. Most people are, I think. If it isn't their dandy dander, it's the pollen pollution they bring inside on their fur. In any case, I needed to wash the Salt Water Taffy quilt I use in the mornings.

In its place, I went downstairs and pulled Mike's flannel quilt out of the pile to use. While I was sitting with it, I realized it was coming apart in the same way that Salt Water Taffy came apart a while back.


Then I opened the quilt up and inspected it carefully and discovered at least five more places that needed patching. Clearly, flannel quilts need more than a quarter inch seam allowance. I've only made these two plus one other rag quilt. Rag quilts, by definition, have a half-inch seam allowance. Fortunately, none of these quilts are out in the wild, but right here at home with people and cats who love them warts and all.

Not to worry, I just patched it in the same way I patched Salt Water Taffy. I cut 6 1/2 inch squares of some green flannel scrap fabric, turned under a quarter inch all around, and then machine stitched close to the edge all around, and right through the batting to the quilt back.


These quilts are nothing fancy. We use them to cover up with when we nap or watch TV. And since it's a tied quilt, I put a tie right in the middle of every patch...just for grins.


When it was finished, it looked like this.


(I took that picture upside down and then flipped it over, which is why it looks so off kilter.) After I finished patching it, I threw it in the wash too. When it came out, I decided to patch two more spots, but I'll do that another day. No rush, for now.

After that I got to work on Block #46 for the Live, Love, Teach quilt. This is Buzz's block:


It was a little tricky doing the applique. When I had it all fused down, I wasn't sure it was going to work. It looks a little like a hamburger with some particularly funky pickles.


I was seriously hoping the top-stitching would make it look better.

And, okay...it's not the best one I've done, but it's acceptable.


The tambourine/hamburger is topstitched by machine, and the signature was hand embroidered. There are ten more blocks to go and I'll be ready to start sewing this one together. Yay!

So there you go...one quick post. Gotta go.

4 comments:

  1. I saw a hamburger too, but once you got the top stitching done I'm seeing a tambourine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your spirng day was fantastic!!! I'm looking forward to seeing your live love teach quilt all together. (It's such a great project!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt block looks like a tambourine now that you are finished.
    That is a great way to patch a much loved utility quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoyed the garden show. The tambourine block turned out nicely, though I could see the hamburger in the unstitched version.

    ReplyDelete