7/1/15

Keep on Truckin'

My plan today was to get my hair trimmed and then go to the grocery store. Since I was already going to be on the other side of town, I had planned to shop at a strange grocery store. And since you know how I feel about grocery shopping, then you won't be surprised to know that it was easy to change my mind and go tomorrow when I can go to my regular store. With that in mind, I had some more time for sewing today.

First, though, I paid a visit to the tomatoes. Mike has been monitoring them lately. Somehow our automatic sprinkler system magically reset itself to water them four times per day. They were way too wet, which would explain their measly growth and dearth of flowers. He turned down the water supply and eventually turned it completely off to allow their soil to dry out some. He hasn't been touching the flowers though, and since these are greenhouse tomatoes, they require regular doses of fondling in order to pollinate them. We use a soft make-up brush for that purpose.

While I was molesting the flowers, I noticed the first tomatoes have appeared:


This year, I planted only sauce tomatoes, and these Super Marzanos are a meaty and nearly seedless tomato that ends up long and thin when it's fully ripe.

Meanwhile, the outdoor cherry tomatoes are doing well and a few are very nearly ripe. These will go straight into my mouth as soon as they are ready.


After I got home from getting my hair trimmed, I finished up the top-stitching on the fire hat and fire truck for the "To the Rescue" baby quilt I started a few days ago.



Then I was ready to sew this section together.


I started with this section because I wanted to see if the ladder was going to fit. It did, but I ended up fixing the one side that was too short. It only took about 20 minutes to fix it, and I'm sure I would have ended up fussing with it a lot more than that if I'd left it as is.


That section is in the middle on the right side of the finished quilt. Next, I turned my attention to the section on the upper left.


I have the applique fused down for the two applique sections. Is that spotted dog too cute, or what? I'll give him a French knot for an eye and another French knot for a nose.


Also, there is a fire hydrant. The whole piece is cut and then the details will be stitched in where I've drawn those lines.


That's as far as I got for today. I'll pick it up again tomorrow after I get my grocery shopping finished. I knew this was going to be a fun project.

So...time to get on with dinner. I hope you've had a good day at your end.

4 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

That cherry tomato in the foreground wouldn't have lived another day in my garden! Can't wait for ours to ripen. Fire truck and helmet are really cute. (Can tell cute must be an out-of-fashion word, my autospeller didn't recognize it first time around!)

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm loving that quilt and of course the dog really makes it :). I came home to a bunch of withered up cherry tomatoes on the bush, David never looked at them and I didn't have it on my list, so sad.

quiltzyx said...

You're going great gangbusters on the firetruck quilt - good job!
See that, even your watering system knows that wolf peaches are bad!! LOL Sauce sounds like a good thing to do to those poisonous things...mmmm pasta. Strangely enough, I do like sun-dried tomatoes, especially in pasta salad.

Brown Family said...

The quilt is turning out cute! My cherry tomatos have produced enough for the neighbor hood! It is getting hot now so they may be at the end of the season!