4/13/15

Duck Sandwich

You'll want to get out your sympathy violin while you read this post because I've had a day of almost no fun at all.


The whole day today was spent catching up on all the housework I didn't do last week. You know how I'm always saying something like, I have a few housekeeping chores to do and THEN I'm going to sew? Well, don't believe me. I'm a liar about stuff like that. I usually sew first, and then...well, the day just gets away from me and oh darn! I didn't get my housework done today either. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

Only...you know how it goes. Tomorrow can go on ad infinitum, and then you end up on your death bed with a messy house. And who's gonna clean that up? Huh?

Okay, well. you needn't worry because I'm all caught up now, even if I am feeling a little peaked after a day of no sewing. If I end up on my death bed tonight, at least my house will be clean.

Nevertheless, I did take time out of my busy day of housekeeping to sandwich the rubber duckies quilt. Just before I sat down here, I got the machine all set up, cleaned up, oiled, tension set, quilt on, and needle down.


The next time the needle goes up and down, I'll be quilting. I'm starting out by outlining the ducks and then quilting some ripples of water around the ducks. For that I'm using a white thread on top and a blue bottom thread. In fact, the whole quilt bottom will be done in blue. The back is from the same fabric as the outer border.


When that's done, I'm going to quilt some duck footprints in those four patches...something like this, if I can pull it off:


We'll see. I've been practicing with pencil and paper. Also, I'm going to do some swirly stuff in the sashings and then a large sort of double pebbling design with blue thread in the border. These are my other threads.


It always feels as if I'm setting off on a journey of hope when I start quilting...in other words, I hope I can pull this off. And since this quilt was a special request from some special friends, I'm feeling a little pressured to do a good job.

And that's been my day. Off I go. I think I'll have time to get a start on this before Mike gets home. Wish me luck.

9 comments:

Kate said...

Good luck with the quilting. It's going to be beautiful and fun.

quiltzyx said...

I like the sound of your quilting design.
My house? Well, if they have a post-mortem Hoarders show, it might be shot here.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I am with you on the house chores - I seriously do not need this huge house for one person. I have never tried the Soft Touch, but do like to use YLI threads.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Ah yes, I can so relate as far as the housework is concerned ... so much so that I don't even make promises (that I'll clean and then sew) any more. I settle for tidy ... but even then I sometimes let that slide. ;-)

Good luck with the quilting ... it's going to be one very special quilt.

Dana Gaffney said...

I think you'll do fine with the duck feet, I've watched you pull off some free motion that looks more difficult. Remember that only you will see and know about any wobbles or mistakes.

Claire said...

Great quilting plan. I so agree about the irrelevance of housework. But your comment about having a house clean on your deathbed reminded me of my Grandma. Back in the days when doctors made house calls, she would be sick enough to call the doctor, then decide that the house wasn't presentable for the doctor, so she'd clean!

Marei said...

Well I have my violin out....but the bridge is broken and I haven't replaced it yet. So sorry, I can't play along with your sad housework song, besides I have a house that's begging to be cleaned but I'm not going to do it! Good luck with the Ducky quilt. It's going to be great.

Junebug613 said...

I managed to finally squeeze in some vacuuming yesterday after work. I've been putting off the housework lately too, more out of sheer exhaustion than anything else. I could've done it this weekend, but since I finally had a little "me" time, I decided to work on my sewing instead.

Brown Family said...

I am hoping to get back to sewing and blogging this week. I have had an upper respiratory infection for a month!