2/1/15

February Progress Report and Goal Setting

Long months are the best months for sewing because it gives me a chance to work on ALL the projects on my to-do list. There was a lot of real estate in January, so let's see how I did.

Quilting and Flimsies

1. First on my list is to quilt the Never Underestimate quilt. Complete! I'm calling this quilt "Sew Powerful" now.



2. I'd like to finish the top and sandwich the "Aspen Tree" that I started several months back. Complete!



Quilting will come in February.

3. I'll plan to sandwich and quilt "Shoot for the Moon". The "Never Underestimate" quilt is small, as is this one. I'm thinking it's not unreasonable to set a goal to quilt both this month. Complete!



4. Also on the list to be sandwiched, but not necessarily quilted: Psycatdelic. Complete!


Quilting will come later. Sandwiching was enough for one month!

5. And this little mini I'm calling "Sew Helpful". It'll get it sandwiched, but quilting will come later. Complete!


Quilting will come later on this one too.

Swaps and Monthly Challenges

6. I have so enjoyed the "Let's Book It" Challenge over the past year, and my plan is to continue.


For January, I had planned to start one project, but then abandoned those plans in favor of another that fit the theme better for Project Quilting 6's second challenge. The challenge theme was "Sunrise, Sunset" and this quilt was the result: 


from this book:



Which makes this goal Complete!


7. I have a partner for this month's Doll Quilt Swap, and so I'll be making a quilt for that

 Doll Quilters
Complete!



8. Of course, I want to make a block for this month's Block Lotto.


Join me on the Block Lotto Blog
blocklotto.com


This month's block is the Double 9-Patch. Complete!


WIP's

9. I'd like to make the next section for the Mumm's the Word quilt that I've been working on since August of 2012. Complete!




10. Finally, I'd like to make another set of two blocks for the Yard Art quiltComplete with a bonus!


Somehow I had in mind that my goal was to make two sets of the two blocks, and so that's what I did. With this being such an old project, I think I'll continue to make them in sets of two and try to get it to flimsy stage. With that in mind, there are still four sets to make before I can start finishing this one off.

11. Finally, I still want to finish my next door for the Doors of Ireland quilt. Complete!






12.  I'd like to at least get a start on the next section for Wind in the Whiskers, The Local Branch. And since my goal was to "get a start" on it, I can mark this one Complete!


I took it as far as I could go with it until I start sewing all the parts of the quilt together, as I explained in yesterday's post. So you know what that means...or, maybe not since I just now made this up. My goal was just to "get a start" on this "bonus" project. Since I finished it, I get bonus bonus points! Yay me!


If you're wondering about all this "bonus point" stuff...it's probably best if you just scroll on by. It's just something I thought up to keep myself entertained.

And they said it couldn't be done. Ha! Never underestimate the awesome power of cats in a sewing room.

Image via SendScraps.com

Bring it on, February! Maybe nobody cares about these goals and progress reports, but they work wonders to keep me moving forward. Think of it as Other Me standing looking over my shoulder, cracking the whip. That woman is a slave driver, let me tell you. So let's see what she has in store for me in February. February is a short month, and so let's see if I can keep my list in check a little bit.

Quilting and Flimsies

1. Quilt and bind the Aspen Tree quilt (shown above).

2. Bring the Dream Machines quilt to flimsy stage.


I'm forgetting who had the great idea to set this with spool quilt blocks, but it was a great idea, so thank you. I'm going to use a method I saw in a video from the Fat Quarter Shop to make cornerstones for these blocks, and hopefully, I can get all the sashings and borders finished up to bring this one to a completed top.

Swaps and Monthly Challenges

3. I've been participating in:

Project QUILTING

There will be two challenges during the month of February, and my plan is to participate in both. And that has been known to completely upend my planned project for:

4. My current plan for the Let's Book It challenge is the one I had in mind last month, even though I changed my mind and did something else. That would be this quilt:


from this book:


and that is still the project I'm planning as my swap quilt for:


due in April.

5. Of course, I always want to participate in:



Join me on the Block Lotto Blog
blocklotto.com
February's block is this one, called "Cupid's Arrow".
Kinda fun, huh?

6. As is my habit, I'm two month's behind in:

RSC 15

My plan is to make this quilt that I'm calling, "A Cat of a Different Color". I'd already selected my own project for the 2015 Challenge, this "Cats in the Attic" quilt designed by the late Pam Bono. I first saw the quilt made up on Piece N Quilt, a blog by Natalia Bonner. 


Natalia did the beautiful quilting for this quilt made by Karen, who blogs at KaHolly. There's a story behind Karen's quilt, and I've linked to it right there. When I saw this quilt, I fell in love with the design and knew right away that I wanted to make it for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt in 2015. Pam Bono's website has been taken down since her death, but as luck would have it, I'd already printed off the pattern ages ago. I found it in my cat fabric bin. Yay! The original design has four different blocks, and I'm planning to make some of each for my quilt. 

With that in mind, my goal for February is to make the first two blocks in blue and pink.

7. And I'll need to make two quilt blocks for our hostess in this month's modern block bee.


This month, our hostess has requested our members each make two of this block:


Pretty, huh? It seems to me I've made this block once before. You can find the tutorial for it right here.

WIP's

8. I've been chipping away at the oldest of the old projects in my sewing room. This month, I'd like to continue on with a quilt I haven't worked on since December of 2013. Yes, you read that right. (Hanging my head in shame.) This was a pattern from Quiltmaker magazine called Quiltmaker's Garden. So far, I have all the sky blocks finished, and I've done the flower blocks you see interspersed below the gazebo. When I last worked on this quilt, I set as my goal for next time around to make the tan tile blocks in the roof of the gazebo...essentially 16-patches. There are three of those, and to do the pinwheels that you see along the vine toward the top of the gazebo. So, I'll just pick it up there in February and try to get this one moving along again.


9. Make four more blocks for Lisa's Retirement Quilt. (My goal is to make one per week.)



So that's a pretty good list for a short month. But you know what I always say, my list isn't complete until I've given myself something for:


10. With that in mind, the last thing on my list will be to quilt Sew Helpful.


It's a small quilt, and so it shouldn't take too long. I already know exactly what I want to do, which always makes the job easier.

So it's always a long list, but doable I think. We shall see, won't we?

14 comments:

Sue said...

What a fabulous month you had in January! You are inspirational, Barbara!

Lyndsey said...

January was a great month for sewing and you have an interesting list for February. I must set myself some goals for this month since we have just about finished having workmen coming and going doing things on the house. Hopefully it will be calm enough to get more sewing done.

Sherry said...

How do you get all this done? I nominate you for the Super Quilter award!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You give yourself all those stars - as many as you want because you earned them - great month of sewing in Jauary!! February looks like a fun month and sure you will enjoy.

Teresa in Music City said...

Bonus Points sure do make life sweet!!! And I agree with Sharon, you definitely deserve them. You always inspire me with your organziation and the way you keep all of your projects moving along.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lots done in January, you also have lots planned for February.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

You got so much done in January! Your February projects look like fun. Good luck!

Kirsty said...

Exhausted just reading your list of triumphs and To Dos. Well done!

Christine M said...

What a great month for finishes, Barbara!

Brown Family said...

You had a busy and productive month with a lot to do this month!

quiltzyx said...

You've set yourself another full month for February I see! But look at all the terrific work you did last month -- hooray!!
BTW, during our Super Bowl Stitch & Bitch, my friend managed to slice her finger with the rotary cutter. Luckily there was a Duct Tape bandaid in the house! (Literally, it looks like duct tape!) I thought of you and your finger after we got the bleeding stopped.

Junebug613 said...

I enjoy reading your lists and updates. It gives me hope for my own projects. Maybe if I started posting my goals, some of them might get accomplished! Unfortunately, even when I plan things, my time seems not to really be mine at all..... I love the Cats in the attic quilt. Can't wait to see yours. I still can't believe what happened to Pam. So sad and senseless. I'm sorry I never saw her website before they took it down. I think her blog was still there a while ago. Really sad.

Kate said...

That's quite a list! But if anyone can get all that done, it's you. I'll look forward to seeing you whipping out all of these projects over the next month.

KaHolly said...

How am I just now seeing this? Shame on me. It popped up on my Pinterest home board, and I thought, “Hey, that’s my quilt!” When I followed the link, it brought me here! Did you ever make it?