10/12/14

Quickie

The family is coming for dinner tonight to celebrate Erik's birthday, and so I'm on the run a little bit this morning. Nevertheless, I took some time to do more embroidery on my "Never Underestimate" piece. I'm estimating it's about one-third done now.


After that I got to work constructing the apple pie we'll be eating for dessert tonight. The apples are so nice right now. I used a combination of Granny Smith and Fuji's in this one. It sure did make the house smell nice. 


Also on the menu tonight, Erik's requested meatloaf. I make mine from a recipe I found on the Durkee pepper box when Mike and I were first married. It has a nice sauce made with ketchup and brown sugar that has kept it a family favorite all these years. A few years ago, I discovered that the convection setting on my oven bakes it up with a nice crust, and while I don't use convection often, the meatloaf is a good place for it. I imagine everyone has their own favorite way of making meatloaf.

Also on the menu tonight: Spinach, Bacon and Apple Salad, another family favorite; Twice Baked Potato Bites, Roasted Beets and Sweets, and a Hot Dungeness Crab Appetizer. Most everything can be made ahead, and so I'm plugging away at it.

Time for me to hit the shower. I'm still hoping to get a little sewing done today, but I'm not counting on it. Tomorrow morning, I'm walking with my friend Sue. We haven't walked this entire summer with both of us being busy doing one thing or another. I'm looking forward to getting together tomorrow, and hoping the rain holds off for one more day.

18 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

That pie looks utterly delicious!! The rest of the menu sounds just as yummy. Would you share your meatloaf recipe, too? I brush a similar topping on meatloaf that's a hit also. Love embroidery. You're a wonder, Barbara. All that cooking and time for slow stitching, too.

Christine M said...

Your stitchery is coming along nice, Barbara. That apple pie looks very yummy!

quiltzyx said...

Oh my does tonight's menu sound DElish! ALL of it! You are a wonder to me. ENJOY!

Janarama said...

My mouth waters every time I see your food pictures. Your menu sound absolutely delicious and that apple pie, oh my!

Donna said...

I can smell the wonderful aromas of your home all the way across the country. Your apple pie looks divine.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a great looking apple pie - yes, the smell traveled coast to coast with this one!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing your stitching progress. That pie looks yummy!

Juliann in WA said...

A salad with bacon - what could be better than that!

liniecat said...

That's such a lovely pattern the Never Underestimate -
Mouth watering here lol an interesting mix of apples that, I always simply use big british cookers but may have to experiment now!

Motherdragon's Musings said...

My your apple pie looks scrumptious. Made my mouth water.
Also your stitchery is lovely.

Dana Gaffney said...

Happy Birthday dinner to Erik, that pie looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

The meatloaf sounds very similar to my recipe!! The baking (convection...always, unless the dish is covered) adds a wonderful finish to the sauce!!! Apple pie is definitely the "sign" that the seasons have moved on.....yum!!!!!

Karen said...

Such a lot of stitching to make the embroidery. I like the sewing machine.

Rachel said...

Love the embroidery. Is that your own design?

Snoodles said...

Woohooo! Yummy stuff! Boy, you are way ahead of me on that embroidery....I have NEV and UNDERE done, that's all! Haha! I can't seem to get the stuff to stay stuck to my fabric, either. Not going as planned.

Andee said...

Looks like lots of good stuff is happening at your house!

Lyndsey said...

Mmmm that pie looks yummy and the whole menu sounds really tasty. I hope the birthday dinner goes well. It's so nice to celebrate with the family.

Kate said...

Dinner sounds yummy. Hope Eric had a wonderful birthday celebration.