5/1/14

ALYoF: May Progress Report and Goal Setting

So here we are in a whole new month. I'd like to say that I crossed off all my to-do's for April, but it was a busy and a sunny month here in the Pacific Northwest. No complaints. I had a visit from my friend Marei at the beginning of the month. And then with all the sunshine, Mike and I did a lot of outside work. So, I didn't do as much sewing as I did, say, in January, and that's not a bad thing.

Here's what I did and didn't accomplish:

1. As my "official" goal for ALYoF, I want to finish the Chili Rounder top I started in March. Complete!




2. As for quilt tops I'd like to finish, I want to finish the top for the "Rose is a Rose is a Rose" table runner. Some progress.


I am not at all happy with how this is going, and so I've abandoned it for now. I may pick it up again in the future sometime. For now, consider it under the category of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". In other words, don't ask me because I won't tell you. Do I look like I'm kidding?

3. I'd also like to sew together my Rainbow Scrap project from 2013Complete!



4. I'm signed up for a class at the end of the month at one of my LQS's to learn to use their long-arm machines. It means I need to create a sampler top for myself. Complete! And if you want to see how the long arm class went, you can read my post right here.




5. Complete the next door for the Doors of Ireland quilt. No progress.

6. Try again to get going on the Forest Giants quilt. No progress.

7. Make some progress on the Quiltmaker's Garden quilt. No progress.

8. Make Block 2 for It's Raining Cats and Dogs. No progress.

Look for all of these to appear on my list for June. I'll explain more in a minute.

9. My next project for the Let's Book It Challenge. I'm going to make this project called Mom Cats. Finishes aren't required for the challenge, and so this one is only started. And with that in mind, starting it makes this goal Complete! (Did you see that I did there?)



10. If I'm feeling really energetic, I'll make the next block for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. No progress. I've been doing these two at a time, and so, hopefully, I'll catch up this month.

11. And I'm hoping to participate in the Block Lotto this month, called Triangle in a Square. Complete!



12. And, finally, my NewFO for the month of April. Portland artist, Rachel Austin, has graciously given me permission to make a wall-hanging from her original art. I'm calling this project "Happy Campers". Again, finishes aren't required for the NewFO Challenge, and so a start makes this goal Complete!



It still needs quilting and binding, but it's almost there.

* * * * *

So...not a great month, but not bad either. I got a little better than 50% of my projects complete. If I were still in school, that would earn me an "F". Fortunately, I'm not in school, and so that "F" is for all the FUN I had in April spending time with my friend and working outside in the sunshine. You can't do better than that.

And that brings me to my goals for May.


It's a month with a lot of real estate in its 31 days, but it's a busy month just the same. In our family, we have three birthdays and an anniversary, not to mention two concerts on the calendar. No doubt, I'll miss more than a few days of sewing with all of that going on. Nevertheless, I'm going to forge on ahead with an impossibly long list. So here goes (in no particular order):

I've been trying to quilt and bind one quilt and finish one quilt top each month. Usually, I set the quilting and binding as my goal for ALYoF, and this month will be no different.

1. As my "official" goal for ALYoF, I want to quilt and bind the "We are the World" top (pictured above). It's going to be a gift for the special granddaughter of a friend. I'll say more about little Frankie when I finish the quilt, but for now, consider it my top priority.

2. As my quilt-top-to-finish project, I want to sew together the blocks for the "Good Morning" quilt that I finished up a few months ago.


3. Bind the Intel Underneath quilt that came back from my long arm quilter last month. This quilt is for Matthew's graduation from engineering school. We are all getting together to celebrate birthdays on May 17th, and so I want to have it finished by then...if for no other reason than I'll have plenty of hands on deck to hold it up for a proper picture! This one will obviously take high priority too.


4. If I'm feeling really energetic, I'd like to finish quilting and binding Joseph's Quilt. This is my oldest UFO, and I'm ready to get it out of my sewing room once and for all. I had in mind to rent time on a long-arm machine at my LQS, but I've abandoned that idea. I'll just do it at home on Big Bertha. She's up to the challenge of this lap-sized quilt. 


So those are all the "finishes" I'm shooting for.

For my monthly challenges, here's what I have lined up.

5. As my project for "Let's Book It":


I'd like to get a start on this quilt called "Aspen Tree"


It's a wall hanging from this book by Jean Wells:


6. As my "New" project for "Something Old, Something New":

Never too hot to Stitch!

I'm taking a hand applique class later on in the month, and I'll be learning to make this block by Connie Sue Haidle of Apple Blossom Quilts.


7. As my "official NewFO project for May:



 I want to get a start on the Sulky BOM from 2013. This was a free pattern on the German Sulky website. If you like this quilt, you can find the free pattern right here.


8. I want to make a block for my Guild Block of the month. This month's block is Railroad Crossing. We are using a red tone on tone for the first color and white with a small black motif for the second color. Should be pretty! This makes a 12-inch block.


And that brings me to my monthly WIP's. Usually I use this space to tell you what I'd like to accomplish on my "meat and potatoes" projects...the projects I keep chipping away at until all the parts are finished, and I can sew them into flimsies. But May just happens to be my birthday month, and so I'm abandoning all of my current WIP's for the month and working on some small projects I've had sitting around for a long time. These are strictly for fun, and I'll do as many as I can whilst keeping up with the challenges too. (Are you getting tired yet?)

9. The Grim Ripper.


This was a free pattern from the Fons & Porter website. This has been sitting in my sewing room since last October. I even bought some metallic silver fabric to use for the blade on the seam ripper, but I never get around to working on it. For my birthday month, it's getting priority. It's small, and so it shouldn't take more than a day.

10. The Astronomical Quilt Block Challenge.


The challenge invites quilters to make a block to be sewn into a quilt by astronaut quilter Karen Nyberg. You can see more about the challenge on this video:




If you can't see the video, click right here. The deadline for entries is August 1st, and with the way the year is flying by, there's no more time to waste. If you're interested in participating, you can find all the details right here. I've already chosen my block. Time to get to it.

11. I had so much fun with my stained glass applique project from last month, that I want to make another one. This one is called Yukon Sanctuary, but it reminds me of our home here at the Three Cats Ranch.


Recall that this is a project from this book:


There are quite a few projects in this book I want to make. And now that I've made every mistake possible on my first go-round, I'm hoping the rest won't take me more than a day each to make.

12. Finally, I figure I should add in an embroidery project as well. I have lots of short, small embroidery projects, but I'm always so busy working on the larger projects, that these tend to take a back seat. In May, I'm going to put my other embroidery aside, and pull out the pattern for this one. (Obviously, I'm in a camper mood this month.) This pattern is the work of Lova Revolutionary, and you can find it on Craftsy. I think it will be cute hanging on the wall of our camper.


13. Hopefully, I'll also get caught up on my Rainbow Sewing Machines. I'm behind from last month, and there will be a new color chosen for May.

Soscrppy

14. And I always have good intentions for making a block in the monthly Block Lotto. There's a lot on my list for the month, but I'll just continue on down that road ...you know...the one paved with good intentions.


Join me on the Block Lotto Blog
blocklotto.com
So that's it! I'm strapping on my running shoes now! What's on your list for May?

12 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think you did quite well with your April goals. Good thing May is a long month - what a list!

Betsy said...

You are very talented. I live those peppers!

Dana Gaffney said...

So, what are you going to do about the rose is a rose quilt? Sorry, I couldn't resist, LOL.

WoolenSails said...

You have done so many projects, it amazes me and I would like a 10th of your energy, lol. I am going to try getting into my sewing room today, hopefully my rib can handle some machine sewing.

Debbie

Dar said...

You have so many great projects to work on in May I would be stumped as to which ones to do first. Of course, you will do those that are gifts for others, as I would do too. I'm amazed that you can get pictures, organize them, organize them into challenge categories with links and still have time to actually sew on them. That's something I have not learned to do. It would take me all day to document a beautiful post like yours. I am impressed at your talents, both on the computer and in sewing. You rock!

Lyndsey said...

Great work on all those April projects. I like the idea of taking time off the ongoing projects to complete some fun small ones. The grim reaper is so cute.

quiltzyx said...

You are just going to be one big blur in May with all you have going on AND your list of goals! Good on ya!

Kate said...

You made good progress in April. Good luck with your May goals. You have lots of fun projects to start and finish.

Cath said...

Wow......I don't know how you do it all. My conclusion is that you somehow have much longer days up on that ridge! Can't wait to see how you go.
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Junebug613 said...

Just getting caught up, in reverse. I haven't had time to read your posts lately.. :( I love that Grim Ripper. I'm trying to print it right now, but my printer doesn't appear to be communicating with the computer at the moment. The camper stuff is all so cute! Good luck on your goals!

Brown Family said...

The Grim Ripper was so fun and easy to make. Start to finish was less that a day!

Tami C said...

You had many great projects this month! I especially liked your Rainbow Scrap project from 2013! Your little girls turned out real cute. I also really like your new project for May!