3/1/14

Video: Tomato Seedlings

Looking for the February NewFO Linky Party?

So we took the first time lapse images off the bird cam this morning. Pretty fun. We're still making more, but we tested these out to be sure it was working. You'll probably have to be sitting at a regular desktop or laptop computer to see this:


So it seems there's more to this time lapse video process than meets the eye. Mike was having it take a ten-second video every half an hour, which made for a painfully slow show. It seems it works better when it is allowed to take a picture every five minutes, and then through some sort of computer magic, they are loaded into a sort of speedy slide show. That will be our next attempt.

As you watched this, you might have noticed that at certain points the seeds magically turned the other way. That was when the gardener came in and turned the cups around so that the seedlings weren't always facing the window. Interestingly, it only took them a few minutes to turn back the other way so that they were facing the window once again. They reacted amazingly quickly!

When I plant seeds, I always aim for three in each cup of soil. Once they've all sprouted, I have to thin them to one plant per cup. This morning, I murdered the unlucky seedlings. I always feel like a serial killer when I do that, and I feel compelled to apologize to each one as I pull it up by its little tiny roots.

So there you go. More to come as they get a little larger and with a much reduced herd of seedlings.

19 comments:

Dasha said...

Magic! You see things like this done by scientists, but I never imagined that ordinary people could do something like that with their own cameras. I mean instead of fancy schmancy $s equipment. But then you might actually have that LOL

Tami C said...

You and Mike have done a great job getting this little seedlings photographed. Looking forward to the next movie!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It looked like they were dancing! The cast aways you should think about throwing into a hedge row - they may or may not make it, but would be a food source for the wildlife (and maybe leave the flowers alone).

Lynette said...

Check them out, dancing! And you crack me, you "murderer". ;D

quiltzyx said...

Very cool! And they looked like they were dancing to me too.

Kathy S. said...

It's little seedlings... but it's JUST SOOOOO COOL! Yeah. Come on spring!

Kate said...

Such a fun video! I was wondering about them seeming to move from side to side, glad you explained that!

Wendy said...

Neat! I know what you mean about slaughtering the innocents - I feel the same way. I can barely bring myself to thin our the carrot and turnip seeds before they get too big. Two more weeks before I plant my tomato seeds. Good luck!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Looks like they are dancing to their on drummer.....Loved it!

Lyndsey said...

What a great video and much more interesting that what was on offer on TV. I'm eagerly waiting the next episode to find out which seedlings made the cut and whether they match the early promise and provide a great crop. I must buy seeds this week so I can get mine started.

Karen said...

Fascinating o watch them grow!

Denise :) said...

I so miss this aspect of living in a place where you can have a garden. January/February were always seedling months and we'd have tons of tomato plants started and ready to go out after the frost deadline! Todd produced organic tomatoes for a local sandwich shop, so we were always overflowing with them! Harder to do out here in the middle of the woods, with every critter and their brother wanting a bite! The time lapse was cool! :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

That was very cool. Thank you for sharing.

Jeanie said...

Dancing snakes! Love them!

LethargicLass said...

That was so much fun! I have always loved time lapsed shows :)

kc said...

so very cool! they looked like little dancers to me too! I could hear "bob-bob-bobbin" in my head the whole time I watched, then I watched it again just for kicks! I did a science fair project on something similar - grew grass seeds in a potato (yes, you really can do that) and showed how all the plant parts always bent towards the light. And germinated corn kernels in a jar, then turned the jar upside down, and it showed how the little roots always went toward the center of the earth...even if they had to turn 180* in mid-stride. Same logic/characteristic/God-given ability is also what makes those Topsy-Turvey tomatoe planters work so well. I think you've talked me into a BLT for dinner now.. :)

Brown Family said...

Cool! I know what you mean about thinning the herd!

Dar said...

What fun. For your first attempt I think you guys did great!

Brandy said...

That was really cool! I understand how you feel about pulling the "other two" from the pot, it always bothers me so much too! Are you starting veges? I should probably get some of mine going, hmm...
~Brandy