3/20/14

Happy First Day of Spring!

It's going to be a lovely day here...at least it appears that way for now. One never knows in Oregon in the Spring. This morning is a swimming day for me, but I had some time to finish hand-sewing the binding for the Outback Sunset quilt this morning. I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get around the perimeter of this long runner, but I made it! This was the quilt I selected for the January Let's Book It Challenge.


The quilt was designed by Judy Hooworth and it was contained in this book:


During 2014, I'm focusing on smaller quilts--table runners, wall hangings, and doll quilts--since I already have a lot of larger quilts in progress. Also, I'm just wanting some pretty table runners for my table. So here's the quilt, all quilted and bound:


Here's how it looks from the back. Except for the black and red striped border, it was made entirely from scraps in my stash. I didn't have quite enough of that orange and red polka dot to extend the whole length, and so a spliced the black and orange polka dot in the center.


It's a very long table runner at 80 inches long x 20 inches wide. I was afraid it would extend out over the edges of my table, but it doesn't. It's a perfect fit.


So in a few minutes I'll be leaving for the pool. "The guy" is presumably coming this afternoon to fill our water conditioner tank. He'll be down in the sewing room since that's where all that stuff is enclosed behind some closet doors. I'll probably do a little housework while he's here. If the nice weather holds, I'll probably set up the birdcam and see who's visiting. Otherwise, the only other thing I'm doing today is getting started on my March NewFO project...this Chili Rounder.


I'm kind of curious to take this out of the package and see how it's done. It will be a good scrap project, and something a little different.

The nice weather is supposed to extend through the weekend at least, and so our plan is to clean out the greenhouse to get it ready for this year's tomatoes. Tomorrow morning I'm walking with Sue. We haven't walked in about a month and I've missed her!

So that's it from me, at least for now. I hope your first day of Spring brings you some beautiful weather.

11 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad you have a nice day. I woke up to snow, supposed to get to upper 40's, then more snow overnight. Not a very welcome Spring here. Maybe it will warm up and quit snowing by summer.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just love your Book It project and the Chilis looks like fun. We got lucky and the latest snow missed us but possibly a little over the weekend - then I think we will be warming up again.

Dasha said...

Your Outback table runner has turned out fabulous. And the colours are great. Nice quilting too. Well done.

Junebug613 said...

Hooray for the finish! It is a perfect fit on your table. I'm curious about your new project too! I'm happy you are having nice weather, we're having some pleasant days too.

Karen said...

Lovely to hear that you have a good day for the start of Spring. I hope it stays that way for a few more days.
Great to see your wonderful table runner completed.

Betty said...

We had a beautiful, though somewhat chilly day here in Alabama after several days of gloom. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, then another cold spell in a few days. I am so ready for warmer weather!
Love the sunburst quilting on your table runner!

Brown Family said...

We had a beautiful start of Spring. I finally found my Sweet 100 tomato sets! Just waiting to set them out till I am sure we will not have one more freeze!

quiltzyx said...

The Outback Sunrise runner looks great on your table! Congrats on the finish too. :)

Looking at the round of chilis, at first I thought "that would be easy"...then I thought again & realized the stem/caps & chilis have to be done together so they don't get mixed up. Not THAT hard maybe, but not as easy as I first thought. As always, have fun with it!

Snoodles said...

The runner looks lovely on your table...I really like that variegated thread for the quilting. Super job!

Lyndsey said...

That is a beautiful table runner. I love the colours, so bright and cheerful. The weather here in London has been good but it's supposed to go a little colder for a few days. So long as the sun continues and it doesn't rain I don't mind.

Kate said...

Bright and beautiful table runner! Congrats on the finish.

It was warm, but windy here the first day of spring. Today it's windy and cold. Hopefully we are just about past all the really cold days.