3/28/14

Friday Finish

This morning I finished up the top-stitching/quilting on my March "Let's Book It" project.

I made a project from the book, Stained Glass Applique, by Brenda Brayfield and Lise Merchant. The technique was completely new to me, and not without its challenges the first time around. If you missed my post about that episode, you can read it right here. In the end, I prevailed and on this second try, managed to make the daffodil of my dreams. I'm calling this quilt "Spring Fever". It ended up at 11-1/4 x 21 inches. Here's how it looked before I put the binding on it:


When I wrote my post yesterday, I was showing some of the other projects in the book, and I noticed for the first time the narrow green border on this one:


I really liked the looks of that, and I was wishing I'd noticed it before I put the black border on mine...and since I was already in the process of quilting it, it was too late to add it then. No problem. This morning I got the bright idea to add a phlange to the binding, something else I've never done before. So I Googled some tutorials and came up with a couple that were helpful; specifically, this one at Jaybird Quilts, and this one at The Crafty Quilter. Thank you, ladies of the quilting world! You never let me down.

It was way easy to do, and I love how this turned out. This quilt is all finished now, and here's how it looks:


I really think the blue phlange dressed it up perfectly. The top-stitching on the "leading" also serves as the quilting on this piece. Here's how it looks from the back:


And I'm so excited about this new technique that I'm itching to make another one of these. The projects in the book are all small wall-hangings, and so they can be finished in a day or two. And with my friend, Marei coming from California to visit next week, I'm thinking she and I are going to do some retail therapy with me in search of some jewel-tone fabrics for a few more of these. It's always good to have something in mind when one walks into a quilt shop. Am I right about that?

So I may or may not do some more sewing today. Kind of depends on what else I can get accomplished before day's end. For now, though, and for all my persistence on this project...



22 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I do love the added bit of blue with a flange - just a nice little popper in the framing. Very nicely done - yes, retail therapy is fun, but I like a list.

works4me said...

Well done! And thank you for sharing the whole story so that we don't face the same challenges if we try the technique.

I have the book but have only used it for eye candy so far.

The added narrow blue border looks great. Once again, well done.

Denise :) said...

Barbara, it's beautiful! The blue flange did make a difference -- really showcases the center! Whoop whoop!!!! :)

Cath said...

I can't believe how quick your project got finished, even with all the mishaps and I do like the blue flange. Clever to think of putting it in the binding. What would we girls do without google to learn new things.
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Sher S. said...

Whoop! Whoop! WOW!!! that is so beautiful. Love the added little bit of blue, really sets it off. Retail therapy is always a good thing. I have to refrain from that until after we move...still have too much fabric, :(

Betty said...

Your daffodil turned out beautiful! The blue flange is the perfect finishing touch.

Christine M said...

Looks great Barbara. That extra blue just finishes it off nicely.

Karen said...

The daffodil is gorgeous. I agree that the addition to the border is lovely. I must follow your links for that technique.
Enjoy your retail therapy.

sunny said...

Your daffodil is lovely. I enjoyed reading how you made it. And I think the blue flange really adds to it - just perfect!

Brown Family said...

The blue flange really adds a pop to it. I like adding a piping to the binding. It gives a tiny bit of color, too!

Debbie said...

Yes, it is a beauty! Perfect addition to this with that touch of blue. A really great finish on this.

Junebug613 said...

Whoop Whoop! I love the blue phlange, it just gives it that extra little something. Hooray Barbara!

Doris Rice, The Quilting Queen said...

WHOOP WHOOP! Absolutely fabulous! And yes, a plan is good when I go into a quilt shop otherwise it can be a retail disaster for me and a huge win for the quilt shop.

Michele said...

It really turned out fabulous! Congrats on a great finish.

kc said...

GORGEOUS! that flange was the PERfect touch to glam it up even more! Your choice of fabrics couldn't have been better - the piece fairly glows! I can only imagine the smile on your face, having triumphed over all those challenges. I started a stained glass piece years ago, but it was kind of opposite yours - I fused the colored cut pieces down onto black fabric, leaving a gap between the colored pieces. Notice, I said started. Never have finished even one. :(

Might be inspired to go dig 'em out of the closet now, after seeing how well yours turned out!

And, just for grins, if you really want another skill - I've seen rolls of skinny black bias tape in quilt shops, and I'm pretty sure that's its intended purpose. They're pretty pricey, tho, as I recall, so it may be less expensive to go the way you did. Certainly cannot argue with your end result!

LethargicLass said...

you completely nailed it! beautiful!

Snoodles said...

Whoop whoop! And bravo, bravo! You rocked this project! It is absolutely gorgeous, and you learned a lot of awesome techniques and skills! Be proud!

Anonymous said...

Whoop Whoop! Your daffodil is similar to one I made in a class. I still need to add a border and like what you did, so I might just copy it. Thanks for the links to the flange tutorials.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You got that done fast, despite the problems you encountered at the beginning.

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Whoop Whoop, the stained glass effect always looks amazing.

Valspierssews said...

Whatever problems you had before you certainly have it perfect this time. I love the touch of blue with the binding.
valspierssews

Kate said...

It turned out beautifully! That phlange was a great addition. Congrats on the finish.