11/13/13

Wednesday's Wanderings

Mike headed out early this morning to see his doctor for the first time since getting out of the hospital one week ago. She pronounced him healthy as could be expected under the circumstances (i.e., doing great), and gave him final clearance for his trip to Austin with Erik tomorrow. Then he drove to Tacoma to pick up our new camper. As I write this, he's almost home with it, and so this will be a fairly quick update. And since I just heard from Erik that their flight is at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow, it's going to be an early evening for him. That's probably for the best, as I imagine he's going to be tired after a long day today.

As for me, I got my hair permed today. I like the body a perm gives my thin, fine hair, but I hate getting my hair permed. The wet, the smell, and the whole salon experience is just not my cup of tea. The good news is that it's done until next time, and that's a good thing. I had a few other things to do, but then came home. When I checked the mail, I found my July doll quilt from my partner, Merry. The theme for the July swap was "Stars and Stripes" and Merry (who is from Canada) was very creative with the theme. What a cute quilt this is:


I love that scrappy binding. Here's the back with Merry's label:


Didn't she do a great job with it? Thank you, Merry. It's adorable and I love it.

After I'd thoroughly loved on my doll quilt, I went to work fusing the pieces for the next Folk Art Cat block. If you'll recall from my earlier post, I had some unexpected placement challenges, which turned out to be not challenging at all.


I hadn't expected to add the bird on this one, and it was supposed to go where that little whirly-gig on the left hand block is located. I just tilted the cat down a little more in the trajectory of his leap, and the bird fit just fine. I still need to top-stitch all the pieces in the newest block (on the right), and then I'll add some hot-fix nailheads for the cats eyes. After that, this one will be finished. This is the fifth of twelve blocks, so I still have quite a ways to go on this quilt.

So that's all I have for you. What did you do today?

13 comments:

Brown Family said...

I am so glad Mike got a clean bill of health. We are having strange weather in Texas. It was 27 in San Antonio, which is south of Austin, Wednesday Morning. I am sure it will be warmer when your guys get here!

Dasha said...

I love the fabric in the blue stripe cup in the top left corner. Good to hear Mike is on the mend.

Karen said...

That's a great health report for Mike. Now he can travel and not have to cancel any plans.
I am pleased you were able to find an easy solution to your cat quilt problem. I wouldn't have realised if you hadn't pointed it out.
Maybe I need to be more observant!
Good luck with the rest of the blocks.

Dana Gaffney said...

The cat quilt is wonderful. I'm sure you're looking forward to a little time to relax and just sew :)

Snoodles said...

Great news on Mike...hope his trip is a good one. Love the cat-parenting -- you're right, there's always something new.
Traveling on business and stopped by to see you. All the comforts of home...wifi and Catpatches to read! :)

Teresa in Music City said...

Hooray for Mike!!! Delighted that he is now well and able to get on with his life :) Sounds like a fun trip for him and Erik.

I used to go crazy trying to find someone here in TN who could perm my hair without frying it, and I finally gave up. My hairdresser in NC knew just how to do it and it always looked great, but apparently it was a great mystery that only superhero hairdressers know how to do! My hair has now gotten too thin for a perm anymore, which I suppose is just as well. I often wear a wig now and love the freedom it gives me!

Your cat looks marvelous!!! I'm hoping to get back to mine after the first of the year - the plan is one a month at least to finish them. I'm putting myself on a schedule next year to hopefully get some of my UFO's done. I like having goals to accomplish, so I think I will enjoy this method.

Karen said...

So great your hub is finally free of infection!! Love your posts...I hope to get back in the quilting saddle again...spent a week at our sons, he had surgery again to remove the PD catheter and put in a Tunneled Catheter to start hemodialysis until transplant...he said he would spend the 5 hours a day 3 times a week to continue to be "daddy"! and a fine one he is!!...courageous and brave too!! Glad for modern medicine, as you must be!!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

It's wonderful that Mike is doing so well and can go on his much anticipated trip! I am one of the few women on the planet apparently that absolutely hates the whole hairdresser experience. Every 5 weeks I go to have the grey/white covered up and I consider it torture day.I'm still holding the line on the hair color because of my extremely fair complexion. Without some color in my hair I'd be white from head to toe! Yikes, I'd fade into the woodwork!

Nita said...

So glad that your hubby is doing so well. Loving those bright cats!

Junebug613 said...

Great news for Mike! Yay! I'm happy they get to go on their trip. Poor Gracie is going to be lost after having so much time with her favorite human. The quilt looks good so far! The doll quilt is adorable and how original! Merry did a wonderful job.

Tami C said...

Wonderful news from Mike's doctor! I'm sure they he and Erik both were real happy with the final clearance for the trip to Austin. Glad the hair perm is all done. I've been thinking about doing the same myself as I have fine thin hair as well. What an adorable doll quilt! Merry is very creative. I like how you adjusted the trajectory of the cat's leap so you could alter the placement of the bird. I like it much better thank the original pattern!

quiltzyx said...

Yay Mike! Still sending out the healthy vibes his way anyway.

The leaping cat/bird combo is perfect! Yay Barbara too!

Kate said...

Love the doll quilt, such cute coffee cups. The leaping cat block turned out great. Look like you are getting back into the swing of things. Glad to hear that Mike is doing well too.