3/20/13

52 Photos Project: Distance


The prompt for this week's 52 Photos Project is "Distance".  I chose this image taken at the Race Track in Death Valley National Park.  The Racetrack is a playa--a dry lakebed--best known for its strange moving rocks. Although no one has actually seen the rocks move, the long meandering tracks left behind in the mud surface of the playa attest to their activity.  A research project has suggested that a rare combination of rain and wind conditions enable the rocks to move. A rain of about 1/2 inch, will wet the surface of the playa, providing a firm but extremely slippery surface. Strong winds of 50 mph or more, may skid the large boulders along the slick mud.


Look at the distance this one has traveled!

For more distance, visit the gallery.

15 comments:

Dana Gaffney said...

That is so cool, thanks!

Vickie said...

I did not know that ! Thanks for the info.

kathy-o said...

Wow - I would love to see this! Great photo!!!

Deborah said...

great photo!

Marti said...

I've heard of the moving rocks before, but never an explanation. So you'd have to be standing by a rock during a thunderstorm to see them move? No wonder no one has ever seen that.

Lynne said...

Wow! That's amazing! I've never heard of it before so thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Nature is truly awe-some! I never knew that. Thanks for the great photo and the info.

Jackie McGuinness said...

I've been to Death Valley and heard about this. It IS amazing!

Brown Family said...

Very interesting.

Nan

quiltzyx said...

I think it's really an alien, not a rock, and it has little tracks like a tank that only work when they are wet.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Kate said...

Cool photo!

Meri said...

Fascinating. I choose to believe that the Rock Spirit is moved to see another place.

Junebug613 said...

That is very cool. I remember seeing this on some tv program. Intriguing mystery of nature.

Unknown said...

What an interesting picture! I enjoy it when Mother Nature keeps us guessing.

Bella Cirovic said...

How cool is that? Love this photo & the info (I had no idea!).