10/22/12

MQX West 2012: Third Batch

This is the third group of quilts from the MQX West quilt show.  If you missed the first two posts, you can find them here and here.  The thread work in this next group is nothing short of astounding.  Keep in mind as you look at them that the machine quilting is hand guided.  In most cases, I've included the quilter's statement about the quilt, and so no further explanation is needed.  I'll just make comments when I have something to add.  Here you go:

As I said in an earlier post, many of the quilts were of mermaids or beneath-the-sea designs.  I don't know why.





Love the thread work in this next one.  So pretty.







This next one was one of my favorites.  I love the work she's done with the quilting, especially the trees.  Also, I like the way she's used bright fabrics for the windows on the buildings, making it look as if they are lit from within.














This next quilt was only about 12 x 12 inches square, but it packed a lot of thread work into a tiny space.




 


This next one had me thinking . . . maybe I could do something like this with some of my grandmother's embroidered doilies and pillowcases.  I might even have a tablecloth.  Now I'll have to dig around in my cedar chest.





There are still more to come, so keep watching.

11 comments:

Jilly said...

Absolutely awesome. I am really enjoying these.

Marj said...

Beautiful pieces of art! Thanks for sharing.

WoolenSails said...

I love the mermaid quilt, it is gorgeous. I think it isn't that I do or don't like some quilts, it is more a preference for certain types of subjects and colors that appeal to me, but they are all outstanding in design and work.

Debbie

Junebug613 said...

Breathtaking works of art. I like the mermaid too. I have a fondness for mermaids. Looking forward to the next batch.

Rachel said...

Again, some real stunners here! I am partial to Quiltlandia, I wish I could thread paint like that!

quiltzyx said...

Incredible! I really can't imagine working over 500 hours on one quilt...but maybe if I was working on a long arm, I could!

otterdaughter said...

Wowsers, Quiltlandia really knocks my socks off. Thanks for all the great pictures, since I couldn't attend the show myself!

Celtic Thistle said...

Stunning quilts, I can only look on in amazement at the quilting!

Dana Gaffney said...

Quiltlandia is amazing, I'm always attracted to quilts with houses and that one is really beautiful, so many details. Thanks.

kc said...

This is how all my quilts look.


In my wildest DREAMS! Geesh, when I first laid eyes on that last one, I thought it was a colored fabric in the middle, not "just" thread. Simply amazing! How could you not just stand there and stare for hours on end, taking 'em all in?

Thanks for sharing.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my! SUCH talent!!!! I'm awed and amazed! Thanks for sharing =^..^= Now to go catch up on the previous two posts!