8/25/12

Foto Finish: Funny


This week's optional theme is "Funny".  Here's my entry:


If you've done much traveling in the western part of the country, you've no doubt heard of the jackalope.  When we bought our first RV, we decided to take a trip to see Wind Cave National Park in the southwest corner of South Dakota (which is beautiful, if you've never been there).  On the way, we passed through Douglas, Wyoming.  When we're traveling, I man the AAA tour books and read about every little burg we pass through.  It's surprising what you can learn about these little places.  

When we passed through Douglas, the tour book informed me that Douglas was the first place that anyone had seen the jackalope and that there was a statue of one erected in the town square.  Well.  This, we had to see.  We left the interstate and drove into downtown Douglas (pop. 6,120, so, a short drive) and sure enough!  There it was.  I instantly dubbed Douglas as the town with the best sense of humor in America.  The Douglas Chamber of Commerce has issued thousands of Jackalope Hunting Licenses to tourists. The tags are good for hunting only during official Jackalope season, which occurs for only one day: June 31 (a nonexistent date as June has 30 days), from midnight to 2 AM.

For next week's Foto Finish, let's go with the optional theme of:  Wet

Now I'm ready for a good laugh.  Show me your "Funny" images.  Here's Mr. Linky:

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.





7 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'd love to see this in person! I've always wanted a jackalope. LOL

Kate said...

Fun photo. It's fun to get off the beaten path and check out some of those small towns along the way. You never know what you'll find.

Denise :) said...

I love jackalopes! Long Horn Steak House restaurants have one mounted in their restaurants. It always makes me laugh! :)

Dana Gaffney said...

Love this, I remember seeing lots of jackalopes when we were out West.

quiltzyx said...

Wow! I've never seen a Jackalope that big before!!! I think we must only have miniatures here in SoCal. ;^)

Susana said...

Es mágico ese conejo?Caiños
r

Snoodles said...

Giggle! That's cool!