3/19/12

Design Wall Monday, March 19, 2012

There were several days this week that I did no sewing at all.  I had appointments in town, and I did some other things.  Still, I have a couple of things to show you.  First, I caught up on the first three blocks for the "Hello Sun" BOM that's going on over at April Mae Designs.  These blocks are so cheery and fun to work on.  Now I'm excited for the next one to come out.




Also, I finished up the Oregon State stadium quilt top I've been working on for Erik and Mae.


Originally, I thought I might tie this quilt, but then decided to hand it over to my long arm quilter to put some sort of football motif on it.  I'm going to ask her to use orange thread, and it will be bound in black.  This is the fabric I'm using for the back.


Those polka dots are definitely orange, although they want to look more yellow in this image.  

Finally, I finished up the March block for the Promises & Borders BOM.  I even managed to cut it correctly this time so that the design is centered!  Recall that both January's and February's blocks ended up off center, but I decided to pretend it was supposed to be that way.  You won't tell will you?


And just so you know I wasn't kidding about entering my Checkerboard Flowers quilt in the International Quilt Festival of Ireland, I received this nice letter from them in the mail a few days ago.  I hope you can read what it says.


Although I've shown this quilt many times on my blog, I'll show it one more time just in case you haven't seen it.  It's good to know it's safely in the hands of the show folks now . . . a whole ocean away!


It will be so much fun to see it on display at the show in June.

This week I want to finish the free motion quilting on the swap quilt I'm making for my partner in Lebanon, Oregon, which is just about an hour's drive south from where I live.  The quilt has been finished for some time, and I'm only just now getting around to quilting it.  It's about one-third of the way done, and it will probably take me a couple of days to finish it.  After that, I'll be all caught up on my March swaps, sew-alongs, etc., and I can spend the rest of the month working on whatever I want.  What I want is to start the fifth of the five doll quilts I'm making for my friend Lisa's granddaughters.

Also I have another project I'm wanting to start.  I can't say more about it than that because it is a gift for someone who reads my blog daily.  It will have to be a mystery until it's finished and in her hands.  It was one of those patterns that moved immediately to the top of my to-do list when I saw it because it is so perfect for its intended recipient.  Don't you love it when a pattern strikes you like that and you just can't wait to make it?

For more design wall inspiration visit:

Patchwork Times

11 comments:

Denise :) said...

Wow, Barbara, that is SO cool!! It's a lovely piece and will definitely make a lovely addition to the exhibit!! Your "Hello Sun" blocks are so very sweet! :)

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

I can see that quilt as many times as you want to show it, love it.
Are not the little sun so cute.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

OH!! WOW! that is sooo-SEW exciting to get that letter from Irish Festival!! Wish I could go there...maybe next year.

I am WAY excited about your collegiate quilt...I've got some U of U fabric and this idea would be great! Thanks for the inspiration

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Needled Mom said...

How exciting! It is always nice to know that it has safely arrived at its destination too. It is a beautiful quilt.

Love the Sunny block!

barbara woods said...

beautiful quilt can tell you put a lot of work into it

Quilter Kathy said...

That is very exciting news! A real highlight in a quilter's life...enjoy!

Snoodles said...

Personally, I think it will win best of show. I love it! :) I really like your butterflies and flowers down below, too. Yes, I can tell that is what they are! LOL As always, your stitchery is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Yay on the quilt show! You've been working on several wonderful projects. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

WoolenSails said...

You have really been busy and I love the way the zig zag looks 3D. Congratulations on the quilt show, it is a beautiful piece.

Debbie

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You got lots done this week. All really pretty!

Rachel said...

SO excited for you. Still think it is the coolest that you get to go see it on display!!