3/10/12

Amish Sampler Blocks

Today I spent as much time booting projects off my to-do list as I did working on them.  Having reached "grown-up" status long ago, I've decided not to finish reading books I don't like, and not to finish quilts that are making me unhappy.  That said, I've finished almost every quilt I've ever started.  A few times, however, I've realized that a quilt is actually making me dread going into the sewing room.  When that happens, it's time to re-evaluate my priorities.  And that's what happened today.  Really.  Life is too short.

So here's what I actually did today.  I completed the next set of blocks for the Plain and Simple quilt, an Amish sampler.  The pattern refers to these blocks as Nine-Patch on Point.


I love those colors.  I've been working on a box of Kona Solid fat quarters.  I'll need to purchase some fabric for the back and the borders, but that's a ways off.  There are still about four different block sets to complete before I start assembling it.

Then I started cutting out my March NewFO project.  This is a lap-sized quilt I'm planning to give to a friend.


This pattern is courtesy of the Clothworks.  (Incidentally, there are a ton of free patterns on the Clothworks website.  It's worth a look.)

I was excited when I found this pattern because I had quite a bit of the two red ranunculous fabrics left over from another project.  This is going to be a pretty quilt, I think, and I'm pretty sure my friend will like it.  I'd like to have it finished for her September birthday.  It is 58 inches square, and so I will be able to quilt it myself.

So that's about all that happened in the sewing room today.  As for George and Gracie, they know what to do on a rainy day.


It's good to have a friend.

I'll be linking up to:  

10 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

I agree - just love the colors in your Amish sampler! Good for you deciding to dump the projects that no longer make you happy! I've got two projects earmarked to take to my guild's Yard Sale. Hopefully someone else will love them because I never really did.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

I tend to have to "fight" with a gremlin in my brain...to give me the freedom to walk away from the things that I don't want to finish...but, I'm getting better at winning. =)

Animal friends are soooo comforting. Being alone would be a very dark place for me without a dog or cat (or both)nearby. =)

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Love your Amish Sampler blocks, and the quilt you plan to make for your friend is very pretty, Barb. Have a great Sunday!

Anonymous said...

I agree, dump the stuff that bogs you down and keep on with fun projects. I love the red floral one you're making for your friend.

Teresa said...

Thanks for the link to clothworks. Love the quilt for your friend.

Christine L said...

You Amish Sampler is going to be gorgeous! I love the Colors!

Mrs.Pickles said...

great looking blocks I love the colours

quiltzyx said...

Yay! On to fun-er sewing!!!

Lynette said...

Yeah, sometimes things should definitely be dropped. Love the Amish blocks. :) And the newfo

Cheryll said...

I agree with you... we stitch to enjoy NOT to dread! The 9 patch on point looks interesting! :)