1/25/12

Wednesday's Progress

Today I finished all of the top-stitching on the October Home is Where the Heart is block.

I've been using the blanket stitch on my sewing machine to sew around all of the little applique shapes, and it is rather tedious work.  It's good to be coming to the end of these blocks.  There are still two more to go, but I'll tackle those next month and the month after. 

It was a mistake to start three applique BOM's at the same time a couple of years ago.  Two of them are finished, but I've really run out of steam on this one.  I love the quilt, and it will be cute when it's completely finished, but I have grown to hate working on it.  Have you ever had a project like that?

Also, I have all the binding off my Mother Goose baby quilt, and I've separated one row of the blocks.  In case you missed the story of this quilt, you can read my previous blog post about it here.

 
The blocks themselves are in good shape, as is the embroidery.  However, many washings and two babies have left the edges of the blocks rather frayed.  The holes where the thread held the seams together also seem large to me, as if the fabric wore around the thread.  I probably used something other than cotton thread when I sewed them together originally. 

I'm thinking of trimming the edges of the blocks about half an inch all the way around.  Previously, I did only garment sewing, and so I used a 5/8-inch seam allowance.  I'll be able to cut half an inch and still have plenty of fabric for a quarter-inch seam allowance when I start sewing them back together.

This poor little Humpty Dumpty block was the exception in that the black embroidery thread has come apart at the top of his head and on his shoes.



It makes me wonder if she used some other kind of thread from what she used for the rest of the motifs.  The rest all seem in good condition. 

It's easy enough to see the embroidery design, and so I'm going to get some of the perle cotton thread she used and repair any embroidery that needs to be repaired.  Oh yes, and I'm excited to have found some cute Mother Goose fabric for the back of this quilt.  I was hoping to keep it neutral in color and everything I was finding was in pink or blue.  Then I found this on Etsy.


I like all the colors in this fabric.  When I have it in hand, I'll choose a coordinating color to use for the sashing.  It made my mother happy when I made the original baby comforter from her embroidered blocks.  I think it would make her happy to know that I'm redoing it now.  Definitely, it helps me to feel close to her.  It's hard to believe that she died nearly 15 years ago.  The time seems to have passed in the blink of an eye.

Finally, I have the sashing finished on the first of the Promises and Borders BOM.


When I trimmed the block, I didn't have my head wrapped around the measurements quite right, and so the embroidery ended up off center.  Did you notice?  I don't think it's too bad, but I may end up redoing it nonetheless.  I'll wait until all the blocks are finished and see how I feel about it then.

With February approaching, some of the swap blocks and new blocks of the month are starting to come out.  I have a swap block to make for the Block Swap AdventureBlock 5 for the Blogger's BOM is out now too.  I'm loving the blocks we've completed for this one so far, and so I'm excited to get started on the next one.

Also, I'm hoping to get quilting on Kylee's Pretty Little Ponies doll quilt and the Flying Colors quilt I made for the Quilts for Quilters swap on the Quilting Board.

 I have lots to keep me busy while I wait for the weather to improve.

11 comments from clever and witty friends:

Colleen said...

I love hearing you tell about the embroidery blocks!

sunny said...

Stop! You're making me dizzy! I had forgotten about Jenny's BOM, so I better get moving. I wouldn't have noticed that yours wasn't centerd if you hadn't mentioned it. Keep up the beautiful work.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I think it's so sweet that you are using your Mom's embroidered blocks and the backing is so perfect!

Ruth said...

The blocks are adorable! It inspires me to want to repair the "Mary had a little Lamb" quilt that my mother made while expecting her first baby, my brother who just turned 75. The binding and some of the lambs need replacing. Thanks!!

Denise :) said...

The nursery rhyme blocks are so darling! I think your blessings block looks good too. If you decide it bothers you having it off center, perhaps instead of pulling it all apart, you could add a little vine down the right side to fill the space?! :)

Jen said...

I love following the progress on your embroidery blocks. You picked the perfect backing ;)

Mrs.Pickles said...

lovely work!!

Snoodles said...

I was going to suggest the same thing that Denise said...could you add another line of vine or flowers to make it less obvious? It's really pretty - I think your fabrics around it are perfect.

Kate said...

Your remake of "Mother Goose" is going to be gorgeous. The backing fabric is so fun!

The Promieses and Borders block looks fine. You could cut the next one a little off in the other direction and make it look like it was a delibrate design feature.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've read many times that blacks were overdyed and didn't last, both thread and cloth. They have just recently figured out how to make black cloth that lasts like other colors do. This is probably the problem with the black thread in your mothers blocks.

Teresa in Music City said...

My oh my - you have certainly been busy!!! I have a very similar applique quilt called Joys of Winter that I started several years ago and have to finish sometime soon, but like you I am not enjoying it anymore and dread taking it out. Not sure why, because I love the quilt. Maybe I just need to put nose to the grindstone as you have and get it done!

Enjoying very much seeing your recovery work on your mother's lovely blocks!