12/26/11

Precious Moments

Bear with me while I post some pictures of my family on Christmas Eve.  There was a new point and shoot camera under the tree for me.  I asked Santa to bring me a small camera that takes good pictures, and (here's the most important part) I wanted it to be intuitively simple to use.  I wanted a camera to take with me when I go to Ireland in June.  Something I can fit into a fanny pack (my preferred traveling tote).  Something that weighs next to nothing.
 
Santa and the elves did their research and came up with a nice little camera in the Nikon Coolpix.  It is slightly larger than a deck of cards.  It is easy enough to use that I could take it out of its box and started snapping away.  My family has learned to be patient with me when I start snapping random images.  They don't even complain about the flash.  It would do them no good.  I mention this because my pictures aren't the best pictures, but they are born of a person excitedly playing with a new toy on Christmas Eve.  You understand, don't you?


My family is doing very well, and that brings me a great deal of joy.  Mike has been looking for work since September.  While he hasn't officially been hired, he did receive word that an offer is going to be extended.  I imagine that will happen today.  He doesn't yet know if this will be THE job, but he's excited about the work he would be doing if it turns out to be a good fit.  Also, it's a rare opportunity to work in a location that is even further out in the country than where we live.  (Read that:  no traffic going to work or coming home.)  His search for work has been frustrating at times, and it will be good for him to get on with it, assuming this works out.  In any case, it was nice to go into the holiday knowing an offer was coming his way. 



Through no fault of his own, Erik had a bit of a struggle finding a job that was a good fit for him after graduating from college.  He seems happy in his work now.  He's a service writer at an auto dealership.  It's been fun hearing about his daily routine.  He has a wonderful sense of humor.  I wish I could put into words how comedic it was to listen while he demonstrated how he communicates with customers about their needs.  Since the day he was born, he's been good with people, and I have no doubt that he's very good at his job.


Erik and Mae have been together for a number of years now . . . long enough that I've lost count.  Mae fits into our family like your most comfortable pair of jeans.  It's as if she's always been with us.  She is a calm and loving person, and it is a delight to be able to claim her as my daughter-in-law.  She brought a delicious salad and two yummy desserts to the Christmas Eve feast.  She and Matthew got a head start on the kitchen clean-up after dinner, and their help was very much appreciated.

Matthew is a junior in engineering school.  It took him a little longer to find his direction in life than it does some young people.  Now that he's found his passion, there is no end to his enthusiasm.  He was working at the university radio station, but a restructuring of employment positions caused him to look for other opportunities.  He's a talented drummer, and now he's performing with a band that plays various shows around his little town in southern Oregon.  It's a good opportunity for a student since the work is flexible and doesn't detract from his studies.  He finishes up a night, thrilled at the opportunity to perform with a good band, playing music he enjoys.  Then someone walks up and (as he puts it) stuffs a wad of cash into his hand.  All that fun, and they pay him too.  What could be better than that?

Even the kitties had fun at our Christmas celebration.  Gracie got plenty of lap time.

Her eyes were wide with excitement at all the activity.  George had fun with the paper, and when things were cleared out under the tree, he decided that some of the paper made an excellent bed.


He might have been able to take a nice nap except that the humans in his family kept bothering him with a length of red ribbon.


First it was on his back.


Then it was tied to his tail.

and then his foot. 

George has the patience of a cat who's been raised with toddlers, even though he's never met a toddler.



It was a fun and relaxing evening.  With all the build-up and activity that occurs before Christmas, it always seems to pass in the blink of an eye. Somehow having Christmas Eve and Christmas Day fall on Saturday and Sunday meant that it passed by even more quickly . . . as weekends usually do. It was like the shortest of marvelous vacations. Santa was very good to me, if for no other reason than having brought my family together for what is becoming more rare as we all grow older and busier in our lives.  I hope your Christmas celebrations were as comfortable.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Looks like a very Merry Christmas was had by all.

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful to see and hear about your family.
A new camera is perfect and easier to use on your trip.

Debbie

Judee said...

Congrats on the
Coolpix. I have one too and use it exclusively. We have been Nikon people throughout our marriage. You have a nice family.

Quilter In Paradise said...

great shots - enjoy the camera! I have one and love it.

Ireland? can you pack me in a big suitcase and take me along? LOL

Beth in Dallas

Linda said...

Looks like you had a very nice Christmas. We did too. I don't put my tree up til the week before Christmas, so it will be up until January 6. My son Mike just got a job right around Thanksgiving after being unemployed for almost exactly a year. It's in New York City; his commute ranges from 2-4 hours a day, which is horrible. He's happy to have a job, though, and his bus is equipped with Wifi, so he can work before he gets to work.

I joined the Building Houses, too, and I was curious about your block. Did you hand or machine piece it? I knew three inches was tiny, but, yikes, those pieces are *very* tiny! Like you, I'm happy that I can use up my small pieces.

Linda