10/14/11

Gandalf Block


Today I put together the first of the paper-pieced "There and Back Again" block of the month blocks.  You can find more information about this BOM at Fandom in Stitches.  On the first Wednesday of the month, a new block will post.  October was the first month, and the block was of Gandalf from The Hobbit.  Here's my block.


This paper-pieced block was put together in seven pieces and I found it a little difficult to get things to match up right.  The block is supposed to be 7 1/2-inches unfinished, and mine was short from top to bottom when I tried to square it up.  I just added a thin strip across the top.  No harm done.

There is a giveaway associated with this BOM each month, and so I'm going to be posting my block on the Flickr group page.  You can find other versions of Gandalf there.

To see more BOM's visit:

 

6 comments:

Denise :) said...

Barbara, he looks great! I'm definitely saving these block instructions for a 'later date'! But I've already been informed by at least two of my family members that they want this quilt. Guess I'll be making the blocks two-at-a-time! :)

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Oooohhhh Barbara -- so glad you introduced us to Fandom in Stitches. I looked through the tabs at the top of the blog, and found quite a few blocks I'd like to make. I finished a paper-pieced quilt for my daughter back in April of this year. I had previously taken a paper-piecing class and HATED it! I mean really, really HATED it. But after finishing my daughter's quilt, I came to like the process quite a bit. I'm looking forward to making some of the ones on Fandom in Stitches' blog. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And BTW - I don't facebook or twitter/tweet (not sure what it's called), but I think those Angry Birds are associated with one of those. LOVE the Angry Birds, and just may make some of those also. Too, too cute.

quiltzyx said...

One of the nice things about paper piecing - if you don't quite cover an area, or need it a bit taller...you can always add a piece & it looks like it was supposed to be that way!
I like your Gandalf a lot. :D

Kate said...

Very nice! I like Sue's comment about paper piecing, if you need to add some you can and it looks like it belongs. I may have to give paper piecing a try at some point.

Lynette said...

Gandalf! How awesome to have him on BOMs Away. :) I just love the site, too - thanks for sharing with us all.

Rosa said...

He looks wonderful and love play with paper piecing.

Thanks for sharing the Fandom BOM.