9/15/11

Seeing Red

George and I just spent some time wandering around the garden.  We saw something I don't think we've ever seen in September:  Red Tomatoes!


This is a slicing tomato.  It was turning red, and a bunch of the other tomatoes were starting to lighten as if they are about to turn too.  In truth, the cherry tomatoes . . . these


usually ripen about this time.  But the slicers, the heirlooms, and the sauce tomatoes usually tease us until the end of October.  By that time, it's too late because the rains start up and the tomatoes rot without ever ripening.  It's my annual self-torture fest as I visit the garden daily, only to be disappointed. 

That's not to say that I won't engage in the self-torture fest this year.  The San Marzanos and the Heirlooms are still green as grass.



But somehow this year seems more promising.  All of them appear to be lightening, and there's no rain in the forecast.  In fact, the past week has been downright hot.  The past few days have been coolish, but more warm weather is coming.  It would be awesome if, after years of disappointing tomato harvests, I could finally get a harvest worth cheering about.  And it would make sense since I've already arranged to buy 25 lbs. of sauce tomatoes from the farmer in the valley!  But that's okay.  I'll take them however I can get them.

Also, the tomatoes in the greenhouse are ripening.  That was expected.  We have dozens of tomatoes on the three plants there, and now these two are days away from picking.  Next year, ALL the tomatoes are going to be grown in pots in the greenhouse.


And, let's see.  What else is growing in the garden?  Finally . . . some green beans.  We should have had these weeks ago.  I think there are enough ripe ones here for at least one meal.  Maybe tonight!



The corn is also getting close.  And the plum tree still has about half a dozen plums on it that are beginning to ripen.  This is the first time the plum tree has produced fruit, and so I'm feeling optimistic about next year.



These are Italian Prune Plums . . . so tasty.  I've always wanted to make chutney out of them, but I never have enough plums. 

Also the zinnias are doing well.  I watched this bee fly from flower to flower to flower.  He appeared drunk on nectar.




We planted this red flame maple tree about five years ago because of its fall colors.  This is the first year it's been large enough to put on much of a show, and now it's just beginning.



Another new bloomer is the yellow butterfly bush.  I don't know about butterflies, but the bees sure like it.



I promised you a before and after image of the house.  Here's the before:


It's a different angle and a different time of the year, but I wanted you to see the steel blue trim color.  We changed the color to a hunter green, oiled and stained the siding, and painted the doors a kind of off white.


We're told the dark siding will lighten some as the oil is absorbed into the wood.  It's very dark right now . . . almost black.  I had hoped for a little darker color on the doors . . . kind of an oak gold color.  Mike is going to repaint the front door a little darker.  I wanted a little flash at the front door.  In any case, we're happy with the job they did, and happy with the colors.  It needed painting very badly.

And George is having a much better day now that the painting crew has come and gone.

2 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Looks like you will have a harvest before the cold really sets in :) Your house looks wonderful and I really like the color changes you made.

quiltzyx said...

Oh my! Look at all those green Poisonous Wolf Peaches!! Oh so very frightening. ;^)

The house looks terrific, your crew did a nice job there.