9/12/11

Design Wall Monday--September 12, 2011

There are three finishes on my design wall this week.  First, I finished the 7th of nine blocks for my "Let Sleeping Cats Lie quilt:


Today I'm going to start on the 8th block, which will be yellow and green.  Then, I completed the largest of the stitcheries for my "A Day in the Life of Mr. Bear" quilt.



This one has two borders that need to be added before it can be incorporated into a quilt.  I would like to add the borders this week to see how the fabrics will look together.  I have the prettiest fabrics for this quilt, and I'm anxious to see how they will look when they are all sewn together.

Finally, I completed my doll quilt for the September Doll Quilt swap that I'm participating in.  This turned out better than I expected.  The little "claws" on the "bear's paw" blocks are made from little inchie half square triangles.  I've never worked with anything so small.  I call this quilt "Green Means Go."


I quilted the center with straight lines, and I did a meander in the dotted border.  I used that border print as a back in a quilt I made for my son, Matthew.  Here's how the back looks on the doll quilt.


I had forgotten I had leftovers of this fabric until I saw the center panel sewn together.  The colors were a perfect match.

I'm linking this post to:



That's it for me this week.  For more design walls visit:

Patchwork Times

9 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Barb, What a lovely doll quilt you have made !~! Green was my favorite color until I moved green down a notch and purpled everything I could.

I named my daughter Iris—purple and green - ya ?

Lynette said...

Such a sweet red work piece.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your doll quilt is beautiful! You made it in my favorite color and the black really makes it pop.
Your finished redwork is precious and I look forward to seeing your cat block in yellow and green.

Snoodles said...

Love that doll quilt. And your redwork is beautiful --- did you show us the complete pattern, or can I find it somewhere? Would like to see it and contemplate adding it to my list. By the way, I completely agree with you on your thoughtful post on 9/11, and the editorial that you linked to.
Have a great week!

WoolenSails said...

Lots of wonderful pieces. I have collected some vintage children and animal designs to make into a stitchery quilt, will save that for after the holidays.

Debbie

Vicki H. said...

The doll quilt is awsome!! I really like the cat applique on the snails trail block that is very clever indeed.

Joni Nickrent said...

Wow...so many wonderful projects! Love the cat quilt and the redwork is adorable! Thanks for sharing your show and tell! POP ART MINIS

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome quilt projects ~ Love the cat quilt and you are so creative ~ thanks, namaste, Carol (A Creative Harbor) linked with Show and tell Saturday ~ Artists in Blog land

Linda Starr said...

Love the cat quilt so unique.