7/24/11

Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries

There are few things more beautiful  to my eye than a bowl full of cherries.  These are going into a pie today.  I picked them up at the Portland Farmers Market yesterday.  Mae and I went together.  We hadn't been for quite a while, and it was a whole new (and crowded) market.  The weather was perfect.

We always start with coffee and breakfast of the best huevos rancheros you've ever eaten.

It's made with farm fresh eggs, handmade tortillas and locally-grown vegetables, then topped with queso blanco cheese.  Yum.  It's a lot of food, and so Mae and I share a plate.  There's also home-made salsas to put on it.

The cherries and berries were the stars of yesterday's market.


The beets were beautiful too.  Sadly, I had only just purchased some at the grocery store the day before, so I passed these by.  We're probably going again next weekend, so maybe I'll pick some up then.

Love the colors on these "spring onions"


Mae picked up some of these gorgeous artichokes.  Erik loves artichokes.


There's always a lot of activity at the Farmer's Market:  guys riding unicycles and playing bagpipes (at the same time), cooking demonstrations, and balloon animals.  These kids seemed none too keen on approaching this guy with the funny balloon hat, but they were intrigued by the balloon animals.


If I had unlimited dollars and a few more arms, I would take home ALL of the lilies.



In addition to the cherries, I ended up with some sausage for Mike, a baguette from a local bakery, and a jar of kim chee . . . one of my favorite snacks.  This kim chee wasn't as spicy as the usual stuff, which just means I can eat more of it!  But now I'm off to feed the birds and then get busy pitting those cherries.  You have to pit a lot of cherries to make a pie.  More later. . .

1 comment:

quiltzyx said...

Definitely looks like you two had a good day at the Farmer's market. I've never seen totally purple artichokes! Do they taste the same as the regular green ones? I do love those thistles! mmmmmmm