6/30/11

Yo-Yo's Finished!

This is what 48 yo-yo's looks like:


They remind me of little miniature nightcaps like the pioneer women wore at night.  This turned out to be less painful than I thought it would be in the beginning.  I made ten a day until they were done, and that was a good amount for me. 

The Clover Yo-Yo Maker was a big help.  I used the extra-small size for these.  The first few were a little slow, but once I got the hang of it, they went pretty darned fast.  There are a ton of videos online that teach you how to use the yo-yo makers.  I watched one before I started this whole process, and I couldn't find it again.  Also, I couldn't find the link that turned me on to the video into the first place.  (Mind like a steel trap.)  You can find the one that makes the most sense to you.  However, I did something none of the videos said to do.  I took my first stitch between the seam allowance instead of over the top of it.  That way, my knot ended up within the yo-yo seam allowance instead of on top of it.  The tails were hidden and that made more sense to me.  I took one extra stitch beyond the original knot just to be sure before I gathered them.

Now I'm working on the embroidery for the final block, and I'm about half way finished.  This one is coming to a close, and I'm excited to start sewing the blocks together!  Of course, there is still the little matter of sewing all those yo-yo's to the quilt blocks.  Now that they're made, I think that part will go pretty quickly.  If I work on this, I think I can have the embroidery finished today.  First, I have to go grocery shopping.  Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of things?

6 comments from clever and witty friends:

Lelia said...

great idea to put the knot in the seam allowance. i never thought of that!

thx for sharing

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Guess I need to go find a yo-yo tutorial, because I have no idea what you mean about the knot in the seam allowance. Ha!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I make mine the same way, not the way I was taught. It just seems to work better for me that way. Congrats on getting them done.

Stray Stitches said...

I look forward to seeing the blocks!!

Kate said...

Wow, you are breezing right along!

LynCC said...

I did it!! I just now finished all the June work on my Glacier Star - far more than one month's worth, let me say. I don't want to see this thing again for 4 years! (jk - will work on the final stages next month).

Yay, you got the yo-yo's done! I don't think I would have finished my allotment if I hadn't said we could hold each other to our goals! But now I get to start tomorrow fresh, with all my BOMs caught up to date after 6 weeks of Crazy-Woman work on them. I think I'm going to ignore BOM existences until the 5th and only work on quilt finishes for the next few days. :)