6/26/11

Something Tells Me It's All Happening at the Zoo

Last night we strayed from the homestead and went to a concert at the Oregon Zoo.  These summer concerts have been going on for decades.  We haven't been to one in at least that long.  We decided we'd like to see this one, however.  It was Mary Chapin Carpenter and Marc Cohn playing together.  We were most interested in hearing Marc Cohn (of Walking in Memphis and True Companion fame).  He played first.  That was a good thing because we were able to leave early and beat the going home crowd. 


There were a lot of people there and it was an uncharacteristically perfect day weather-wise.  We lucked out since it's our belief that, in Portland, one can never count on the weather until after the 4th of July.  We stopped and picked up sandwiches at Subway and ate them while we waited for the concert to start.  With open seating, we were there two hours ahead of time.

The zoo entertained us with a short birds of prey fly-over show.  Here's the Bald Eagle (check out the woman in open-mouthed amazement in the lower right-hand corner):


He was so sleek in flight.

Mike and I, being homebodies, don't venture out any more than absolutely necessary.  On the way, we agreed that going to an event like this always sounds good in theory.  Then the day comes and neither of us wants to go.  But we have done so little of this for a long time, and so we agreed to give it a try.  We didn't have to stay if we didn't want to.  It was actually really fun.  I'd do it again.


I got a new phone.  You can reverse the camera and take a picture of  yourself.  Pretty cool!  That's Mike on the left.  The woman between us was with a group of people who talked through the entire concert.  We wondered why they came.  I'm not sure who the woman on the right is . . . you know, the one holding the camera phone.  She looks a lot like my mother.  I never considered my mother unattractive.  I just never thought I'd get as old as she was.  It must be karma for all the times I rolled my eyes at her. 


Sadly, I didn't figure out how to make a video recording until after the concert.  I tried, but I wasn't recording.  Since I wasn't supposed to be recording anyway, I think the concert gods were messing with me.

6 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great photo! You guys look like you're having a great time. Funny.....everyone keeps saying I look like my mom too as I get older.

WoolenSails said...

Sounds like a fun day. I haven't been to our Zoo in ages.

Debbie

Irina said...

Oh! what good memories! I remember going to a concert in Portland zoo with the 2 girls of the family I was staying with.
I also went to see Joan Armatrading somewhere around Portland, in a big field, but I can't remember the name... I know it was native American...
You're so lucky you have a summer! it's cold here...

Kate said...

Sounds like a fun evening.

quiltzyx said...

Sounds like you had a grand time - glad to hear the weather cooperated. :D

LethargicLass said...

that sounds like a lot of fun!