6/17/11

Baking on Friday: Blue Belles

I found this recipe in the latest issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine.  I can't say I was thrilled with the way it turned out.  It's intended to make nine 2 1/2-inch by 4-inch loaves.  However, the recipe clearly states that you can make a large loaf instead using a regular 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.  That's what I did.  I was supposed to increase the baking time from 30 minutes (for small loaves) to 55 minutes (for one large loaf).  My loaf took a full 20 minutes longer than that.  Further, it was nice and tall when it came out of the oven, but then deflated to a much smaller height within the first few minutes.  It is quite disappointing in appearance. 

I just sliced off a piece, and I can't say I'm thrilled with the flavor either.  It has a strong lemon hit because of a lemon glaze that is brushed on after it comes out of the oven.  Also, there is a tablespoon of lemon zest in the batter.  If you're a fan of lemon, you might like this a lot.  For the effort, I have another blueberry bread recipe I like better.

I might have had more success with this recipe if I had made the small loaves instead of the large one.  However, this isn't a recipe I'll be making again. 

If you want to know the recipe I like better, here it is:

Blueberry Bread

grated peel & juice of 1 orange
2 T oil
Water
2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t each baking soda and salt
1 egg
3/4 C sugar
1 C blueberries

Instructions: In 1-cup glass measure combine orange peel and juice and oil. Add water to measure 1/2 cup; set aside. Stir together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl of mixer beat egg and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in alternately small amounts of liquid and flour mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Gently fold in blueberries.  Stir just until blended. Turn into 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven 1 hour or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Invert on rack. Cool completely. Wrap airtight. Keeps about 3 days. Serve in slices with butter or cream cheese.

NOTE: This recipe can also be made with cranberries for a nice Christmas treat.  If cranberries are used, they should be coarsely chopped.  Chop cranberries on double layer of slightly dampened paper towels to keep berries from rolling; or use food processor.

I've been making this version of blueberry bread for so long that I can no longer remember where the original recipe came from.

1 comment:

WoolenSails said...

My husband got a couple of pints of blueberries, must be trying to tell me something;) I used to make a great muffin, but I can't have the sugar anymore.

Debbie