3/1/11

Welcome to Oklahoma


We got our new tires and finally got out of Witchita Falls, TX, this afternoon around 1:00 p.m.  Fortunately, it was a short day to Oklahoma City, and we arrived in pretty good time.  We were nearly bankrupted by the tolls on Interstate 44, however.


We were surprised by this since it is an interstate (and therefore Federal) highway.  It seemed every ten miles or so we were pulling up to another toll booth until we had paid a whopping $10.25 in tolls!  Now that I look at the Oklahoma map, I see that there are lots of toll roads.  We'll be on the lookout wherever we head next.  And to add insult to injury, it was the worst road we've ever been on.  I have some wire shelves on my built-in closet shelf (to make two shelves out of one).  For the first time, those came down onto the floor.  All the glasses were knocked over, and stuff fell out of the refrigerator when I opened it.  I haven't yet opened the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, but I expect it too is in disarray.  Whatever.  These are the perils of traveling in an RV.

We'll be here two nights.  Tomorrow we'll see what is referred to here as the Oklahoma City National Memorial, and we'll also try to visit the two quilt shops that I know about.  For now . . . drum roll, please.  This is the picture I took of the map on the side of our trailer a couple of days ago, while we were stuck in Witchita Falls.


Just now, I took another picture. 


Aside from the complete eastern side being empty, do you notice anything?  Hmmmmmmm?????


It's the little things in life, you know?  Besides, it's a slow news day.  I'll have more to tell you tomorrow.  For now, I have George pawing at my leg.  He always wants me to sit down on the floor and play with him when we stop driving for the day.  Guess I'll grab a fake mouse and remind him he's still a cat.

2 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Lovely to hear that the tire situation has been solved. Life’s a bear when the tires blow !~!

Kate said...

Welcome to Oklahoma. Oh yes, the toll roads, sorry you had your introduction to OK that way! One of the problems in OK is that with the extremes of heat and cold we get here (-28 F in winter to 110 F in summer), it plays havic with the roads. They are always working on them. Looking forward to seeing your reviews on the OKC quilt shops.