3/2/11

Quilt Shop: Sew and Sews



I visited the Oklahoma City Sew and Sews quilt shop after seeing the Oklahoma City National Memorial.  It was a nice enough shop, but somehow, I wasn't in the mood to buy anything.  This shop seemed a little disorganized upon entry, but it was busy with customers.  A woman welcomed me, friendly as can be, and then apologized later for not waiting on me sooner.  I didn't need anything from her.  I was just wandering around. 

(Regarding the image above, notice the tornado warning siren towering above the building.  That's not something I'm used to seeing in Portland, Oregon!  We're told that there are tornado "watches," when residents are warned about the possibility of tornadoes.  If a tornado is spotted, then a tornado "warning" is issued, and the sirens sound.  People are then encouraged to seek shelter.  I don't think I'd have to be told twice.)

There was a full wall of fabric along one side of the room, numerous books and patterns, and a good supply of machine embroidery items.  On a different day I might have purchased something, but nothing caught my eye. 


I don't have much to report about this shop.  It could be that I've seen so many quilt shops (some of them simply outstanding) and so much fabric that a shop will have to be really unique to catch my attention.  However, I don't have any real complaints about it either.  If there was a classroom, it seemed to be in the middle of the shop, which would have been distracting if I were trying to take a class while other customers milled around.  On the other hand, they sold sewing machines as well, and so this may have simply been a display area.  I think the lack of definition in the store left me less than enthusiastic about it.

I give this shop three rotary cutters out of five.  With only two quilt shops that I know about in Oklahoma City, it's a good choice for people who live here.  As an out-of-town visitor, there was nothing truly memorable about it.  The fabrics were the same as ones I've seen at the other shops I've visited and so I didn't feel a need to spend much time there.

No comments: