2/18/11

Traveling Gourmet--Club Soda Waffles

As I've said before,  I've always enjoyed making really good food while camping--even when we were tent campers.  I had a few standbys that were family favorites, and I only made them on our two-burner Coleman stove while we were camping to keep them special.  The most difficult meal was breakfast because I wanted it to be hot, but I wanted something other than eggs every day.  One year I found a waffle iron that opened up omelette-pan style and could be used on a Coleman stove or an open fire.  It was rather expensive for us at the time, and so I passed it by.  I don't think I ever stopped pining for it, however, and that year for Christmas, I found it under the tree.  I was so excited about being able to make waffles while camping!  Later on I added a griddle too, and then I could make blueberry pancakes!  (Isn't camping food the best?)

Now I have a trailer and electricity, and I use a conventional electric waffle iron.  I still have the other one though for those times when we're "dry" camping without hook-ups.  I couldn't resist sharing my mother's waffle recipe with you.  It makes the lightest waffles.  The secret to light waffles is spooning the biscuit mix into the measuring cups rather than using the cup to scoop it out.  (It packs the biscuit mix too tightly.)  Also, don't over mix it.  A spoon works better than a whisk.  Finally, you must let it rest a few minutes before pouring it into the waffle iron. 

I don't know where she got this recipe, but my mother made the best waffles of anyone I know.  I'm using her recipe, but somehow hers were better.  Maybe it's just that someone else was making them.  In any case, here's her recipe:

Club Soda Waffles
Recipe By: Clarice Nelson
Serves 4

2 cups biscuit mix
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons oil
1 1/3 cups club soda

Stir well. Allow batter to rest for about five minutes. Pour into Belgian waffler for an extra light waffle.

Enjoy!

No comments: