2/4/11

Quilt Shop: Rosie's Calico Cupboard

This quilt shop was recommended to me by Quiltzyx, who said:

If you have time, there's a great quilt shop in San Diego called Rosie's Calico Cupboard. We usually stop there when the guild makes a bus trip to the San Diego Quilt show.
I haven't been for a while, but one of my faves was their sale room - lots of bargains!


Thanks, Quiltzyx, for letting me know.  I had such a good time snooping this shop.  Rosie's Calico Cupboard is the biggest shop I've visited on this trip.  It's in a strip-mall-type building, but she pretty much has taken up the entire space with her merchandise and classroom.  Even before I could get through the front door, I was confronted with two bargain tables with bolts of fabric for $5 per yard.
 
When I got inside, there were rooms, and rooms, and more rooms of great fabrics. 
 



 
It would have been overwhelming except that it was all extremely well organized with tags that gave you some idea what you were looking at without needing to look at each individual bolt.  By that I mean, you could go in and look for, say, landscape fabrics, and they were all together in one section with an easy-to-read and obvious tag telling you what you were looking at.  Very helpful in an otherwise overwhelming display of fabric.
 
There were also more books, patterns, and notions than I've ever seen in one place.  Here is just a small sampling of the racks full of books.
 
 
There was a room with fabrics all on sale for $5 per yard and less, and a large classroom at one end of the building.  There were also sewing machines and parts on sale.
 
I loved this shop.  Had Mike not been in the truck waiting for me, I might have spent all day there.  As it was, I ended up with this beautiful batik (I love sunflowers):
 
 
And I found this pattern on the bargain table outside for $1 (yes, that's one dollar!):
 

Can you see what these are?  They're flowers made from candy corns.  So cute for Halloween.

If you live in or near San Diego (or if you're visiting, like me), I strongly suggest you stop in.  Their selection of fabrics was so vast that you could easily take a guild of 50 people in and everyone would find something to their liking, and within their budget.  I give this shop five rotary cutters out of five.  Even though the shop was bustling with business, the service was fast and friendly.  I will almost certainly come back if I find myself in San Diego again, but this time, I'll drive myself so I can spend time there with wild (and I do mean "WILD") abandon.

I have one more quilt shop to tell you about, but for now, we need to get on the road.

4 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

How wonderful to find Rosie’s!!!

quiltzyx said...

I'm so glad to know that Rosie's is still as good as I remembered!!! Even when we had our busload of guild members the service was terrific. (And waiting in line isn't so bad when you're with your pals.)

:^D

Kathy said...

I love going to quilt shops in other cities. Sounds like this one is a winner.

LethargicLass said...

This is making me wish I weren't in eastern Canada lol... I'm pretty sure I drooled over your photos LOL