2/4/11

Quilt Shop: Cozy Quilt Shop

Stormy Days told me about this one when she said:

You're close to Cozy Quilt which also makes it's own tools. Are you planning a visit?

I'm not sure, Stormy Days, if I was at the right shop because I didn't see any tool-making.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen there.  In any case, I did a search and found a sweet quilt shop in El Cajon.

Cozy Quilt was located in a shopping center in a really lovely part of San Diego.  I'd never been in this area before, and so the drive out was a pleasant surprise.  It was easy enough to find with our nav unit, but behind some rather large buildings.  It would have been easy to drive right by without the nav unit.


While it wasn't as large as a few of the other quilt shops I've visited on this trip, it still had a nice supply of merchandise.  They had a fat quarter sale going on--20% off on all single fold and bundled fat quarters.  Some of the bundles were so pretty, they tempted me mightily.  However, I've spent quite a lot, and I need to wait until I get paid next Wednesday before I go completely crazy.  I chose a few things, but I passed a few things by too.  (It's good to be on a budget sometimes.)

The store was a feast for the eyes upon entering.  There were lots of fabrics, books, notions, and a separate general sewing area off to the left (not visible in this image).

They had some truly beautiful batiks, and one that would have been perfect for my Winter Wonderland back if it had been available in a royal blue.  It wasn't, and believe me, I've checked online since.  I ended up getting another fabric for my Peaches and Dreams quilt (scroll down after clicking on the link to see it).


Then I also found this fabric for a Funky Monkey sock monkey quilt pattern I have on my to-do list.  I already have the sock monkey fabric and this same banana fabric, only with a yellow background.  (It's been on my to-do list for a long time.  One of these days . . . maybe when I have a grandchild.)


And with fat quarters on sale, I picked up one more for my Winter Wonderland quilt.


Finally, I found the extra-small size round yo-yo maker, and grabbed it up.  I've been looking for one, and this is the first place I've seen this extra-small size.  The finished yo-yo's are about the size of a nickel.  (Score!)



I still have to make at least 48 more of these tiny yo-yo's for when I finish my Kitten's Tale quilt.  I've already made a bunch for the quilt blocks, and let me tell you, I find them very tedious to make.

You can see all those yo-yo's I have yet to make in the top and bottom borders.  (Sigh.  Love the quilt--not happy about the yo-yo's.)

So, all-in-all, I had a good time at this shop.  I'd rate this quilt shop five rotary cutters out of five again.  (I'm hitting the jackpot lately!)  They had lots of nice stuff and good prices.  Their service was easy-going and friendly.  I also appreciated all the little flyers and pamphlets about quilting-related resources in the area, not the least of which was the Visions Art Gallery quilt and textile museum.  We didn't get a chance to visit this time around, but I filed the information away.  Maybe next time we visit San Diego we'll get a chance to see it.  I love art quilts, although I haven't made very many of them.  It's just another one of those things on my quilts-I-dream-of-making-someday list. 

Definitely stop in and check it out if you happen to be close by sometime.

2 comments:

Dana Gaffney said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the shop. It's nice to see it through your eyes. Keep enjoying your trip, I am.

SewCalGal said...

I'm glad to see that you were able to visit Cozy Quilt Shop. They do publish their own line of patterns and books (Cozy Quilt Designs), as well as make several unique tools (e.g. strip tube ruler, Cutting Corners ruler set, etc). All great tools, books & rulers.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com