2/9/11

Mysteries and Things That Go Bump In the Night

While we were in Hemet, we were watching TV one evening when we both felt a bump! on the trailer that felt for all the world as if someone had hit us with their RV or car.  We both looked out and saw nothing.  We figured it would have been the people in the space behind us, but no one was parked behind us.  When we couldn't find anything wrong or anyone where they shouldn't be, we forgot about it and went back to our television show.

Also while we were in Hemet, we noted that in an otherwise friendly park, our next-door neighbors treated us very coolly.  We brainstormed about whether we'd done or said anything that might have offended them, but we could think of nothing.  Mike greeted them "hello" one morning, and his greeting was met with what could only be called a smirk.  Again, we brainstormed, and then just decided to let it go.  (It didn't stop us from making snide comments about them at every opportunity, however--we aren't above that.) 

So this morning, Mike walked around the trailer and noticed that it was bent on the extended slide that would have been on their side.  I noticed it yesterday when we were backing in too.  We can only surmise that we have solved the mystery of the bump in the night and also the mystery of their strange behavior toward us.  They were out drinking to the point of intoxication nearly every night even though they are older than we are.  (Alchoholism knows no age boundaries, after all.)  We now believe that they must have hit us when they backed their truck into the space right beside our slide.  Their tailgate was left open all the time we were there.  It's the only thing that makes sense.

The damage is minor.  Mike can unbend the bent parts, and repair by himself the three pop rivets that are broken.  It's not bad enough to require a trip to the body shop even.  No real harm done.  Still, it's always nice to know that you aren't crazy when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Today is a day of catch-up.  I have five loads of wash to do.  I have a combination washer/dryer in the trailer.  It's a little thing.  It washes the clothes, then spins them dry like crazy.  (Really!  You think it might take off like an airplane at any moment it spins so fast!)  Then it turns into a dryer and dries the clothes.  It takes up a fair amount of closet space, but not so much that we're crowded out.  And the clothes aren't exactly wrinkle-free when they come out; but they're wearable.  (I'm a person who isn't bothered too much by wrinkles--especially the ones on my body.  I figure I've earned them.)  And it only washes a few things at a time because it's so small, which means lots of loads, although it uses very little water.  But it also means I don't have to hang out in the laundromat except when I wash the sheets on our bed.  It will even wash a load of towels!  We went back and forth about whether to add the washer/dryer, and I haven't ever regretted it.

So along with the laundry, we have to go to the grocery store, which is one of my most hated tasks.  Love to cook.  Hate to shop.  I have my list done though, and that's half the battle, in my opinion.  We're just waiting for the load of clothes to finish and then we'll be taking off grocery shopping.  No quilt shops today.

[Cosmically to you people in Hemet:  If it wasn't you, please accept my humble apology.  But it doesn't change the fact that you were rude and obnoxious.  For that, please accept my one finger salute.]

3 comments:

Mommarock said...

Oh Barbara... I'm laughing SOOOO hard!! You are so my kind of lady! I'd give them the one finger salute too!!

Kathy said...

Ok, let me get this straight. They hit your trailer with their truck and didn't acknowledge it or apologize and they gave YOU dirty looks and smirks???? What is wrong with people??? I just don't get them. Usually I find that RVers are pretty friendly and helpful if you need help. But there are exceptions to everything aren't there?? Aren't you glad you moved on?

Laura said...

OMG you are hilarious. I am in Texas and know you came this way on your travels. (although I am in East Texas) I would love to meet you some day.