2/15/11

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

How was your Valentine's Day?  Ours was excellent.  The weather was warm, the sun was shining, and we went to one of our favorite places:  the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.  This was our third visit to the museum, which is really more of a combination botanical garden and zoo.  It hasn't changed any since our first visit, but each time, we get better glimpses of some of the animals that were out of sight the last time.  It's very well laid out, and so, so interesting that we never get tired of seeing it.  They have an old car parked out front, and apparently are fans of George.


Doesn't it look just like him?  There is always a volunteer out front showing off some kind of bird of prey.  This time it was a beautiful barn owl.


I just love being able to approach so closely.  And I never get tired of this view of the mountains from there.


I think the first quilt I start when we get home will be to attempt this one.  I've never done a landscape quilt before.  I think this one is simple enough that I can manage it.  And I am endlessly fascinated by the Saguaro Cactus.  This one caught my eye with its needles glinting in the sun.


There are lots of critters to see too.  They have a butterfly garden (the butterflies are wild).



And two atria for birds and hummingbirds.  I love the little tassles on this guy's ears.


Here's a Desert Cardinal.


And there are lots of reptiles and mammals as well.  These are some that were willing to be photographed while we were there this time.  Big Horn Sheep


A river otter



A bobcat (like the one I saw at home once)



And his mate


Isn't she pretty?  The notoriously destructive javalina


Prairie dogs.  On one of our visits a sign informed us that these guys had burrowed out of their enclosure once and it had taken four hours to round them up!  Naughty prairie dogs!


And finally, the Mexican wolf.  There are two of these in the enclosure, and they are usually pacing so nervously that they are difficult to photograph.  I'm happy about capturing this one.


We got back to the trailer early in the afternoon, and took naps before heading off for a really delicious Valentine's Day dinner at Janos (in fact, if you watch the slide show at the top of this link, you'll see the actual table where we sat.  On the left-hand side, the second table from the window!  We had a great view of the Tucson city lights.  And, I copied and pasted the menu from the website.  It was a four-course prix fixe menu.  I've highlighted our choices.  Everything was so delicious that we both ate every bite!  It was a perfect evening.  We haven't been out like that for a long time.  I think the last time we went to a really nice restaurant was for my birthday last May.

Dungeness Crab Salad
(Camino Escuela Grapefruit Aioli, Roasted Beets, Tangerines, Oranges and American Sturgeon Caviar Vinaigrette)

Your Choice of

Duck Confit, Chocolate/Cherry Mole and Foie Gras Ganache Bon Bon, fennel, orange, and endive salad with hazelnut citronette

or

Butter Poached Lobster Tail, Smoked Ham Hock Flan and Lobster Sauce
(asparagus, huitlacoche vinaigrette)
Your Choice of

Pan Seared Diver’s Scallops on Truffled Risotto with Minted Pea Coulis
Meyer lemon syrup, Jerusalem and globe artichokeor

or

Roasted Carved Angus Beef Strip Loin with Truffled Bordelaise Sauce
(Robuchon potatoes, cippolini onions, porcini cream and leek vinaigrette)

Dessert

Salted Caramel and Praline Bombe
(dark and white chocolate sauces)

I would definitely return to this restaurant if we find ourselves in Tucson in the future.

So that was our last day in Tucson.  Today, we crossed into New Mexico.


We're staying the next two nights in Las Cruces, New Mexico, where there happen to be three quilt shops!  I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow!  Las Cruces isn't a very large city, and so I can only think there must be a lot of quilters here to be able to support three shops.  It'll be interesting to see.  Check back for my posts about them.

1 comment:

quiltzyx said...

Thanks for taking us along with you to the zoo~!

Love the pic of the layered mountains & the saguaro too...aw heck! I like them all!!