1/23/11

Traveling Gourmet--Grilled Rib-Eyes with Better than A-1 Marinade

I used to test recipes for America's Test Kitchens.  This is a recipe that I (along with many others) tested for them and that later appeared in Cook's Illustrated magazine.  Cook's Illustrated is my go-to magazine (online) when I'm looking for a new way of cooking something, or a new product, or a new technique, etc.  I just love their magazine.  Their recipes never disappoint me.  In any case, I've adapted this recipe and make it my own way now.  The ingredients are the same, but I substituted green onions for chives (essentially the same thing), and I add balsamic vinegar to the marinade, rather than saving it and adding it later.  Here's how I do it:

Grilled Steak with Better than A-1 Marinade
adapted from America's Test Kitchens Test Recipe

Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 medium cloves garlic -- minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

4 rib eye steaks (about 8 oz. each) -- trimmed of excess fat

Combine first eight ingredients (through balsamic vinegar).

Combine marinade and meat in gallon-size zip-lock bag; press out as much air as possible and seal bag. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (all day is better), flipping bag after 30 minutes to ensure that meat marinates evenly.

When steak is marinated, prepare BBQ according to your own method.  Remove steak tips from marinade; letting any excess marinade drip back into the bag. Discard bag and marinade. Grill, uncovered, until well-seared and dark brown on first side, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, flip steak and grill until second side is well seared and thickest part of meat is slightly less done than desired, 4-5 minutes for medium-rare (about 130 degrees on instant-read thermometer), 6-8 minutes for medium (about 135 degrees) or to desired doneness.

Transfer steaks to shallow pan. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes, turning meat halfway through. Slice steak or serve whole.

We'll have these tonight with a baked potato.  If you start the steaks in the morning, it makes for a no-fuss dinner at night (especially if, like me, your spouse does the barbecuing).  Bake the potatoes according to your own method.  I like mine done the old-fashioned way--in a regular oven.  Dinner is served. 

This is absolutely the best marinade.  Mike and I don't eat steak any other way any more.  I was always a big A-1 fan, just because I like the taste of it.  I always said the steak was just a vehicle for the A-1 because it would be rude to drink it straight from the bottle.  Since we started marinating the steaks this way, I don't use it any more.  They are good just as is.

I know some of you probably are not red meat eaters.  (We don't eat red meat terribly often either.)  I've never actually tried it, but I think this marinade would work with chicken thighs too.

1 comment:

LethargicLass said...

This sounds great! I love marinades :)