1/20/11

Quilt Shop: Georgia's Quilting Obsession

One of the walkie talkies we use when we're backing the trailer into a space died, and so we drove to the little community of Beaumont, California, to go to Best Buy.  As it so happens, there is a quilt shop there.  Georgia's Quilting Obsession was an interesting shop.  It was easy enough to find the address, but I might have driven right by without it.  It's not easy to spot this humble storefront.


My impression is that this is a quilt shop set up mainly for classes and the owner's long arm business.  Merchandise, while plentiful enough, was something that was added later.  An employee informed me that the owner had taken most of the fabric to a quilt show in Yuma.  There was lots of fabric left on the shelves, however, and so I was sorry I'd missed the rest of it.  In any case, I found some fabric I liked for $6 per yard.  I don't know why it was relatively inexpensive, except that it was at the end of the bolt.  Possibly there was a discount.  In any case, I was happy with the price.


I took all she had left, which turned out to be 2-1/8 yards.  She also had a basket full of patterns at half price, and I picked up a couple of those.  You can look for these in my April giveaway!!



It was worth the drive up there to see this shop.  I was sorry the owner wasn't there with the remaining fabric, but there was plenty to look at anyway.  She had a pretty quilt loaded onto her long arm machine, and there were a half dozen others hanging on the walls of the shop.  It was a little strange as I came through the front door.  The larger part of the shop is in the back, and that was where most everything was.  Walking in the door, I had the feeling I'd come in through the back.  It was a narrow area, and there wasn't much to see until walking half way back into the building.  In any case, it was a little hard to get a read on the place because there were just two women there and they weren't speaking much.

I suppose I'd give this shop three rotary cutters out of five.  Had the owner not taken away the majority of the fabric, I might have rated it higher.  It definitely warrants another look on a different day, and if you live nearby, I'd suggest giving it a look-see.

I spent my day cutting out a new quilt that I plan to give to some friends back home.  Larry and Tracy have been friends for years.  Larry has been on dialysis for several years, and I know he has problems regulating his body temperature during and after his treatments.  I thought a quilt might help.  This quilt is intended to be for a child, and so I'll have to make it larger for Larry's adult-sized lap.  They call their place the "Dancing Frog Ranch," and so I thought they'd like this pattern (childlike though it is):


This is the pattern from the picture.  Mine is made with different fabrics, of course.  I found the pattern, called "Frog Pond" on a free pattern website:  http://www.freepatterns.com  It's worth looking at because there is a lot available.  You'll have to give up your email address to see it, however.  It's free to join if you don't mind.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Gorgeous fabric find.

Peach Rainbow said...

It's so interesting to read & see all the quilt shops you visit :)
looks like you are having lots of fun!