10/18/10

Design Wall Monday--October 18, 2010

I was determined to get my Downy quilt finished this week, and so I spent most of the week on that. 


I'm calling this one "Shell Game" for its turtle motif.  I had in mind to do some fancy-dancy free-motion quilting, but then I just wanted to finish it more.  So I just did a simple diagonal grid in the middle section.  I kind of like how it looks on these quilts.  I used a fancy stitch from my sewing machine on the narrow inner border, and some free-motion "waves" on the outer border.  And then, the Downy folks want a zig-zag stitch instead of a conventional binding.  They seem to think it's more durable, and it probably is.



Here's what the back looks like:



They have a different kind of tag they give you now.  I like the old ones better.  These don't have any place to write the name of the quilt and the quiltmaker, but the instructions still say to do it.



I still kind of like it.

Then I had time to make two more blocks on my "Orange Crush" quilt.  This is the one Judy designed.  Her pattern is called "Peaches and Dreams."  Mine is very bright.  These are all fabrics from my stash, and some I've used on other quilts.  I like bright colors and whimsical designs.



I know this might be a bit much for some.  Here are the six blocks I have so far. 



With 6 blocks out of 30 done, I'd say that makes me about 20% done!  Of course, that doesn't include the borders and the quilting.  Maybe I should say I have 20% of the blocks finished.

And lastly, I got the center applique done on my next Checkerboard Flowers block of the month block.  I still need to make the checkerboard border for it, but those go together surprisingly fast.  This block is called "Iris Rising."



Here's a picture of the whole quilt.


Sadly, being sick for two weeks has me way behind on my three block-of-the-month quilts now.  There's no way I'm going to catch up, and there's really no point.  The blocks will continue to show up in the mail while we're gone this winter, and I won't be here to make them.  I'll be woefully far behind by the time we get back in the spring.  Erik will pick up our mail at the post office once per month while we're gone, but he won't be forwarding any of it.  Oh well.  I was really trying to keep up, but now that I've admitted defeat, the pressure is off.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you have done this week.  Hope on over to Judy's blog and see what others have on their design walls.

6 comments:

Cyndi said...

Barbara, your Downey quilt is awesome! I love the turtles and those little mice are too, too cute! I like the way you quilted it, too. Great job. And...I love the Orange Crush quilt as well...lately I have found that I'm really drawn to orange. It's going to look wonderful when you're finished.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do...there's no harm in admitting that you can't get something finished, and it is a BIG relief to take that pressure off of one's self. There will be other projects, I'm sure! :o)

XOXO,

Cyndi

amber said...

I love the Shell Game quilt. I have always wanted to learn how to quilt and the past few weeks I have been looking a lot at some and thinking about making the big leap.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Oh my goodness! I love the ORANGE blocks! The Shell Game is cute too!

Quilter Kathy said...

Lovely job on the Shell Game!
But I'm LOVING that Orange Crush! ALL the colours of the beautiful fall leaves around here!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You have been very busy! Love it all!!

Cheryl said...

I just love the checkeboard quilt !! I love how you used different colors in all the blocks and white in between , the flowers I am asumming are cut with pinking shears, it really makes it a wonderful quilt , sorry to hear you have been ill .