9/6/10

Design Wall Monday--September 6, 2010

The week started off slowly because I spent most of my time working on one of my three BOM's, A Kitten's Tale.  Had I known how much embroidery was required on this quilt, I doubt I would have started it.  Of course, when I see the picture of it (now), I can plainly see that there is a substantial amount of embroidery.

Somehow, I didn't think it applied to me???  That's the only thing I can think of.  Honestly, though, I think I may have thought I could accomplish it with my sewing machine, and I actually did on the first block.  This second block, however, was much too complicated (although not difficult) to do by machine.  So here's what I worked on for most of the week.

This block is called "Quilt Along with Kitty."  And here are the two blocks I have so far:


I was glad to be finished with this because I am not fond of doing hand work.  Actually, I don't mind, but my hands scream for mercy when I do too much of it.  After a while, I'm screaming for mercy.

So then I moved on to something more arthritis-friendly--a conventional patchwork quilt, although this one is anything but conventional.  It's Judy L.'s "Peaches and Dreams."  It's made from three different widths of strips.  Simple.  I cut one of each size from each of the 16 different fabrics I'm using.  I added some fabric this time around because I wanted more bright colors.  Here's what I did this week:

As I've said before, I have lots of projects going on, and I do a little on each one and then move on to the next.  I decided that when I work on this one, I'll do two blocks at a time instead of one.  I'll get it finished faster that way.  Besides, the blocks go together easily, and they work well for chain piecing.  Here's what I have so far:

I just love this quilt.  Thanks to Judy L. for such a great pattern.

Then I worked on my "Spring Sampler" quilt from the Spring Fab Shop Hop.  This is what the whole quilt looks like:

This is the block I did this week.  It's called "Regal Iris."  I rather enjoyed this one.

I really like this quilt. This is what I have on the Spring Sampler so far.

I have eight of thirteen blocks done now.  I'm getting close to having all the blocks done, and so I think I might finish it up next time I work on it. Right now, I have to get caught up on what I call my "Interrupters." Those are the BOM's, charity quilts, and what not that jump in line ahead of my regular projects.

So that's about it for me this week.  I got behind on my BOM's--not my fault.  I'm working on three:  A Kitten's Tale (above), and these two:

The one on top is called "Checkerboard Flowers," and the other one is called "Home is Where the Heart Is."
I get one of the blocks for Checkerboard Flowers about every three weeks, and so I'm having to go fast to keep up.  As for the other two, they're both from the same online quilt shop, and so they generally come together. 

I got the first block for each at the beginning of June.  Then I didn't get another one of either until I finally called them in mid-August.  They said they'd sent them out that day, and that they were late because they were waiting on patterns(?)--not sure what that means.  I assumed it meant that the designers send them the kits and they send them on to me.  But each is by a different designer, and so I didn't see how both could be late.  Whatever.  It is what it is.  I had them, and so I didn't care.

But then, about two weeks later, I got the third block for each.  So now I'm behind.  (Sigh.)  And I still have the fourth block on Checkerboard Flowers which came promptly about three weeks after the third block.  So, as you can see, I have a lot of interrupters to work on.  And that doesn't even include my latest Downy quilt.  I'm wanting to do the Downy quilt so that I can practice the free motion quilting design that I'm going to use for my "Flip Flops" quilt.

So that's about it for me.  I'm looking forward to seeing what all of you have been working on.  Take good care.

3 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Busy Gal !~! What a great pile of projects. I especially like the Spring Sampler.

Barbara said...

Hi Lynda--Yes, lots of projects. Oh and . . .

Oooooops! I just noticed that one of the parts of my "Regal Iris" is turned the wrong way! Do you see it? I'll have to fix it.

That is so funny. I've looked at that block all week and not seen it. I've even proofread my post (and not very well, I might add), and I still didn't see it. For whatever reason, it just popped out at me this morning. Thank goodness I saw it before I got the whole thing put together. That would have driven me crazy. (It's a short drive.)

Melinda said...

I am always surprised at what I see with the camera that I never see in person. The camera is a great tool.