9/13/10

Design Wall Monday--September 13, 2010

I didn't get to do as much sewing as I like this week, but my wrist is thanking me for it.  I used one of my sewing days following Judy's  lead and putting up some apple pie filling:


I did mine in pints.  I'm not above making four little individual pies so that we can each have two (two evenings, of course).  Also, I used a different recipe out of this book.

As for sewing, I got my next Downy quilt put together.  I'm calling this one "Shell Game."


Still have to put the borders on it, but this is a pretty good start.  I want to use it to practice free motion quilting so that I can finish quilting my "Flip Flop" quilt.  Did you catch that?  I now have two quilts to be quilted.  I'm falling behind.

Also, I got the "Daffies" block done on my Checkerboard Flowers quilt.

This is what I have so far:

I'm really liking this quilt.  I thought that checkerboard border might be a pain in the neck, but it really hasn't been.  I'm chain piecing the strips, even though they're different lengths of fabric (made from the scraps they sent me and the ones I had).  Then it's not much of a problem to cut the two-patches and sew them into borders.  Takes maybe a couple of hours to finish the whole thing.  I got this BOM at an online store called Storyquilts.com and I have been so happy with them.  They send the blocks out regularly and they send me LOTS of fabric.  I always have plenty left over.  Here's what the whole quilt will look like:

Ask me when I've sewn the blocks together with those checkerboard strips how much I like making them.

I hope you'll join me Friday for another game of Fun Fact Friday Freebie
I've had this going for about a month now, and I'm not getting many takers on my weekly giveaway. I'm not sure why. But I keep hoping the word will get out. Really, there are no strings--just a free fat quarter!

Now I'm going to hope on over and see what you all have been doing.

3 comments:

Shellie said...

I really like those flower blocks. The colors are really cheery.

I like the "Shell Game" quilt as well. When I get time I'd like to start using my stash for donation quilts but that's going to have to wait for a different season in my life I guess.

Barbara said...

Hi Shellie--The Downy quilts program will send you the fabric in a kit, so there is no fabric of your own used. If you're wanting to make charity quilts, I encourage you to check into it. I'd say more, but you are a no-reply blogger and so I can't respond directly. If you'll read the instructions under my Fun Fact Friday Freebie button, there is information about how you can change your settings if you want to. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comment.

AnnieO said...

I made one of the Downy quilts too--mine had robots on it and was adorable. Love your BOM--the checkerboard looks really good. I'm just making one for a border on a quilt for my brother, but I cut squares all individually from scraps--very time consuming!