8/8/10

Greenhouse!!

I am so excited!!  My husband and I went to our county fair today.  It was a lot of fun.  I hadn't been to the fair in a very long time.  We used to go to the San Diego County fair before we were married and when we lived in California.  The fairs that I've been to since then didn't hold a candle.  The San Diego County fair is a HUGE fair.  Now I've been to a couple of county fairs in Oregon, and I've been to the Oregon state fair.  But since we moved out to the country (Yamhill County, Oregon), we haven't gone.  Being a rural area, the Yamhill County fair was impressive given our relatively small population.

Anyway . . . there was a guy selling greenhouses.  They were nice ones.  It comes with the structure, potting stands, everything you need including setting it up, for a very reasonable price.  The problem I've had with greenhouses in the past is that you first invest a pretty penny in the greenhouse, but then there is so much more that you have to invest in before you're up and running.  This one is the whole banana in one neat package.  So my husband bought one for me!!  I've wanted one for years. 

It's going to be delivered on August 27th.  We are putting a lot of money into our house this year because we're also building a windmill for wind energy.  And we have to replace the waterproof membrane on our deck, which is more expensive than you can imagine.  Really . . . it was more than I imagined it would be.   Whatever.  We felt we could squeeze this one more thing out of our budget, even if it means dipping into our vacation fund.  But it just seems a small year-round garden will pay for itself over a number of years.

I love to cook, and growing my own good organic vegetables is very appealing.  I keep a garden in the summer time, but we live at 1,400 feet, and so our growing season is very, very short.  This will be a way for me to stretch it out some.  AND, bonus, I won't have to deal so much with the weeds.  I told my husband that it was kind of like investing in raised beds.  I'll be raising the beds clear up to my waist!

Stay tuned.  I'll post some pictures once it's set up.  (This is going to be great!!)

1 comment:

SJSM said...

Great excitement at the 3 cat ranch! You predicted accurately that it would increase your bounty and organic vegetable use in your everyday meals.