9/15/17

Billings, Montana

We spent last night at a free overnight space at the Cabela's parking lot in Billings. This was our first time doing this, and so we were a little unclear about the rules regarding courtesy. The spaces were long but narrow, and we have slides on both sides of our RV. We pulled up with our wheels against a curb on one side and that allowed us to open the slides on both sides. Nobody complained, and so we figured we were doing okay. Since we were without electricity, I had to write this post quickly while my battery lasted. And that brings me to one more reason I might not blog in a day...no electricity. We did not have a wi-fi connection, but we had good cell service last night. For electricity, we had to run the generator, and so electricity was in limited supply. To all of you in Florida, I know I am not even approximating the pain you must be feeling right now.

As for yesterday's drive, we saw a lot of barns.











Sorry for the blur in some of those images. It was a dark and rainy day, and it's hard to get good focus as we speed by in our truck. Shortly after leaving Butte, we crossed over the Continental Divide. This is where the flow of water switches from draining into the Pacific Ocean to draining into the Atlantic Ocean (depending on which way you're traveling). I almost missed the sign.


The best part of the day was stopping for lunch at the Greycliff Prairie Dog Town State Park.


 Here is some information about the Prairie Dogs:




 And here are the images I was able to capture of the prairie dogs. It was dark and cold, and I was using a telephoto lens for these shots. Because of the long lens and the darkness, I had the ISO set at 1000, which made for some weird colors. Nevertheless, these guys were adorable.









These two charmed the socks right off of me.








This next image is the one I'm including in my sketchbook. My one word for this One Word Wonder is "Endearing."


So my internet connection is causing me grief. I'm hopeful I'll be able to save and publish this. We're heading on down the road today. If I don't post again for a couple of days, see my first paragraph and assume that one of the reasons I've given there is causing me problems.

16 comments:

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Enjoying the ride along - have fun and be safe.

Debbie said...

No power....you did well on just the generator! Great barns and only you could write about prairie dogs and make it interesting. :) Those two are cute.

QuiltShopGal said...

I'm impressed you were able to get a post out while under limited power and also using the cell. But very much appreciated. Love the Prairie Dogs. I've seen them at the San Diego Zoo, but never in the wild. Another item to add to my bucket list, thanks to you.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Californianativedaughter said...

What did the cats think of the prairie dogs?

Frog Quilter said...

Great pictures. Cute animals.

Dorothy said...

The 1st barn is so pretty--it looks fancy enough to be liveable by humans. Have never seen a prairie dog up close and personal before. Than you :-)

Quilting Babcia said...

I love western barns! So different from what you will find in the eastern states. Cute prairie dogs. Enjoy the drive and sightseeing!

Sandra W said...

Aren't they the cutest! I couldn't read about them but I guess they are rodents--that sort if kills the cutness factor. How did the evil twins like them?

Kate said...

The Prairie Dogs are so cute. Bet they were a lot of fun to watch. Hope you find some great places to park and get to enjoy lots of fun scenery.

quiltzyx said...

Barns by the mile! Very cool.

The prairie dog info signs are really interesting. At first I thought they were going to be too fuzzy to read, but when I clicked to enlarge they were perfectly clear. :) And they are so cute too!

Happy trails as you go along from here...

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just love all of the barns! Prairie dogs - wonder if they are distant cousins to my side yard family of groundhogs?

Lyndsey said...

Love the barns and I've never come across Prairie dogs before. They are so cute and the photo for your sketchbook certainly is endearing.

Sherry said...

Lovin the barns. Did Smitty and Sadie get to see the Prairie Dogs? I am sure Smitty would have a particular interest in them.

Brown Family said...

I have never seen the Prairie Dog or it's town, except in the El Paso zoo! I love that last photo!

Robin said...

Looks like you went to barn heaven. A great start to a vacation for just the 2 of you. Here in Dunedin, FL we got our POWER back after 1 week with above average temps. Here on the coast it never got over 94 in high summer now it has hit 3 digits with no air or breeze but I know of others that lost water and houses. Tons of downed trees. And we are all very thankful it did not run up the coast and I pray for those in South FL & Caribbean. Those are who need our help! **The great thing is seeing neighbors outside all complaining together, helping each other, sharing food. I have a gas range so I have offered that to everyone. I love seeing people you hardly see come together especially to help the elderly. Not waiting to be asked but seeing a need, getting others on the block and just getting it done. Now if it would just cool down...but we will be fine :) -'Robin

QuiltGranma said...

When we lived in the Walla Walla Valley, and bought some land just out of town, we had not only gophers but Columbia Basin Prairie Dogs (ground squirrels) to boot! The dog and the cats soon learned that gopher tastes wonderful, and would gladly tackle them if caught in traps or not! But they had no interest in the flavor of the prairie dogs! (endangered little buggers too!) Love your photos and info shared!