10/8/12

News for Those in the Know

It's my walking day today for my D-E Day Commitment.  Since I have to drive into town, I decided to combine several errands in one, and one of those happens to be my walk.  Today's walk will be relatively short.  I suppose I'll have to drive the route with my car to really know how far it is.

First, I'll stop at the post office to mail a couple of packages.  Then I'll walk the length of main street in our little town of Newberg, Oregon.  Our main street is lined with a few historic buildings, the post office being one of them.  Also, there are a few little shops along the way where I can do a little window shopping.  I'll take my camera along just in case I see anything interesting, which is highly doubtful.  Here's my route:


Fascinating, I know.  Leave it to me to start your morning out with a bang reading my riveting, edge-of-the-seat rundowns of how I'm planning to spend my day.  You'll be glad when my sewing room is up and running again, won't you?

And here's something else you won't want to miss:  Newberg has a shiny, brand new, exciting Goodwill store!  It's my favorite store!!  Honestly!!  What could be better than a Goodwill store right exactly in my own little town of Newberg??????  And we here in Newberg, Oregon, know a good time when we see it.  People actually camped out...I mean overnight(!)...for the grand opening of the new store.


I swear I am not making this up.  If you don't believe me, read the article about it right here.

And from what I understand, the store was absolutely mobbed the first day.


Sadly, I avoided the grand opening.  As much as I love Goodwill, even a grand opening wouldn't entice me to venture into a crowd like this.  And, call me a party pooper if you will, but there is no effing way I'm sleeping on the sidewalk over night for this.  Still, it is a happening if you live in Small Town, Oregon, and so I'm reporting this serious bit of news to you because I know you won't want to miss out on the frenzied hysteria.  Did you folks back in New York hear about this?  I'd be astounded if it didn't get national coverage.  (Not.)

All of that to say that I might, just might, make my way to the new Goodwill store today.  Whether I go in or not will depend on the state of the parking lot.  If there's a place to park, I might go in.  But if I see even ONE sleeping bag, I will be so outa there.  Wish me luck.

And if I survive my outing to Newberg, I'm going to come home and fold some underwear.  I'll need something to bring me down after all of that intoxicating hoopla.  I don't know about you, but folding underwear anesthetizes me every time.

16 comments:

Debbie said...

LOL......you are such a hoot. Time for my nap, I just finishing folding undies! Wake me after the party...

WoolenSails said...

I should do some walk maps in my neighborhood, need to exercise and too cold to paddle lately. I love goodwills and thrifts, I usually go in the late morning, less crowds and it gives them a chance to put new things out.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Having had a leak in our basement, I sympathize, but I so look forward to seeing your sewing room when you put it back together. I love looking a people's sewing rooms and avoid shopping crowds like the plague.

Lynette said...

Haha! Sleeping bags and all, eh? Too much for me. lolol :)

Hey! Look at this link I found where you can make maps of walks and it figures the mileage as well as the climb!

Lynette said...

ummm how 'bout I remember to paste in the link? ::spitsoda::

http://www.mapmyrun.com

Quilting Babcia said...

This is a hoot! So, where exactly is that new Goodwill store? My dentist is in Newberg and I might need to treat myself to a new Goodwill venture after my Thursday a.m. visit! Exciting times in small-town Oregon, but really Newberg is a big town compared with us'n out here in the boonies of Amity ... hehe ...
p.s. I hope it's better than the McMinnville Goodwill.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

LOL! You definitely put a smile on my face today :) How funny that there were people sleeping outside overnight for the Goodwill opening. We just had two of ours shut down but then we still have three more open.

sophie said...

Take a look at the Map My Walk site. You might not have to drive it to know how far you went ;-)

carla said...

Hi!! When I first saw the top pic of the map, I thought it was a quilt!!! Now that I'v seen it better I think it could be good inspiration for a quilt!!! Good going on your walking!!!! I might get inspired by that too!! Hope you can get in to shop soon!!!

evelyn said...

LOL I am with you, I hate crowds. But I do love the second hand stores. That is the fave place for my sis and I to meet. As far as walking, I walk my smallest grandpeep to the library across our small town every Tuesday. Good thing she is in a buggy, gives me something to hold on to!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

A Goodwill store is cause for excitement! To sleep outside? LOL, come to my place, I'll take you to several Goodwills. I think we even have a Goodwill outlet!! Then we'll hit the Agape Houses and second hand row.

You are so funny!

Teresa in Music City said...

Yea! A new Goodwill is reason for rejoicing!!! My favorite store too :*) I'm in there at least once a week and get very depressed if I don't get my Goodwill fix! You must show us your goodies from your first visit - because we want to be in the know of course!!!

Rachel said...

LOL!! WHEN is your room going to be livable? Just kidding....

Kate said...

Well exitement means different things to different people I suppose.

quiltzyx said...

Sleeping bags for the Goodwill store Grand Opening! Wow!! I have to send my sister a link to this one - I just introduced her to thrift stores a few months ago!

Dana Gaffney said...

You've boggled my mind even though Goodwill and Salvation Army are my favorite stores. P.S. if you're folding underwear it's too big.