1/19/11

Remembering Joan Maust

I learned today that my aunt, Joan Maust, died yesterday morning.  Her death was not unexpected, but it saddened me just the same.  She had suffered with multiple myeloma for years and was in a great deal of pain for the last years of her life.  I heard from her brother several months ago who told me she was on hospice care.  I was talking to Mike about her just this morning, and about an hour later, I received a telephone call telling me of the news.

She was the wife of my uncle, Leland Maust, who was my mother's brother.  He preceded her in death a few years ago.  They were always very good to me when I was growing up, and I kept in touch with them over the years.  Along with my grandmother, Bertha Maust, Aunt Joan inspired me to learn to quilt.  She was an expert quilter, and I always enjoyed looking through her newest quilts when I visited their home.  She knew I loved lemon meringue pie and she always had a fresh one waiting for me when I came.

They were not able to have any children, and I know she wanted them.  She would have made a good mother.  Instead, she enjoyed caring for the children at the childcare center at their church.  She and my uncle had a foster son, Jack, who was every bit as much of a son had he been of their own blood, and they remained close throughout their lives.  She had a long career with Bell Telephone Company before it was broken up by the court many years ago.  After that, she had a long retirement, but kept busy with her sewing, canning, crafts, and her church. 

So here's to you, Aunt Joan.  Journey sweetly to the great beyond.

4 comments:

Mommarock said...

Oh, Barbara even when it is not totally unexpected, the loss of one so dear is no less heartbreaking. I'm very sorry for the loss of your Aunt. May she rest peacefully, and smile down upon you as you quilt away, knowing she nurtured your joy.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

May she find her way to a special place that suits her ideas of eternity. Sending hugs and kleenex to cry with you.

Kate said...

Very sorry for the loss in your family. It's good that you remember all the good and fun stuff about her.

quiltzyx said...

I, too, am sorry to hear of the loss of your Aunt Joan. She sounds like the epitome of a loving woman & grand quilter.
May she live on in your heart.